Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SarahCat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
I know this probably has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer that could help me.

Less than a year ago I bought a brand new Apple computer from eBay. The box was unopened so I am the only one to turn it on etc.

I want to know if I am still able to purchase apple care because I bought the machine off of eBay.
Would this be a problem because the machine was purchased by someone else and has their name on the receipt instead of mine?
Thanks guys

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
I believe long as you are in the one year purchase period. You can simply buy apple care from Apple, BH photo, Amazon. Make sure to activate the apple care.

SarahCat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
I believe long as you are in the one year purchase period. You can simply buy apple care from Apple, BH photo, Amazon. Make sure to activate the apple care.

Thank you. For proof of purchase do I upload my ebay receipt or the eBay sellers receipt from b and h?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
If you put the serial number in on http://selfsolve.apple.com it should give you the eligibility for AC purchase. The ORIGINAL purchase date from Apple is what really qualifies it. Just because YOU bought it less than a year ago doesn't mean it's eligible if the original purchase was more than a year ago

Proof of purchase needs to be from an Apple store or an authorized Apple reseller.

SarahCat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
If you put the serial number in on http://selfsolve.apple.com it should give you the eligibility for AC purchase. The ORIGINAL purchase date from Apple is what really qualifies it. Just because YOU bought it less than a year ago doesn't mean it's eligible if the original purchase was more than a year ago

Proof of purchase needs to be from an Apple store or an authorized Apple reseller.

Thank you. The year from original purchase still applies. My question was if I could submit the receipt from b and h (authorized reseller)even though it has the ebays sellers name on it and not mine.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you. The year from original purchase still applies. My question was if I could submit the receipt from b and h (authorized reseller)even though it has the ebays sellers name on it and not mine.
After seeing your question I read over the Applecare guidelines and I really think you are in a bit of a grey area here. If someone else originally bought the MacBook new and is now selling it to you as the second owner, I'm wondering if that makes it essentially a "used" MacBook and perhaps not eligible for Applecare. I just don't see anything really addressing exactly this scenario in the documentation.

Here they talk about "original purchase date" that implies maybe a second purchaser like yourself is not eligible.

SarahCat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Thanks it was a never used product but I can see why a second owner would still be considered as such in applecare. For example the person I bought it from bought it and sold it a few days later. I opened the box and unwrapped it etc. if I bought it from a retailer I would be eligible that much I know. I just don't know if I can do it because I bought it on eBay even though it's still has a few months to its original purchase date.

What I don't understand is that my serial number was eligible for apple care when I used the coverage checker tool but don't know what to do for the proof of purchase.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I always get it from eBay and save money. Never had a problem.

It used to be that they could email you the code, but nowadays they have to ship you the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.