Resolved Eligibility for iWork update?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Nermal, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In the recent keynote, Craig stated that there is a new iWork update available for free. However, I haven't been able to find any official documentation about this. I have a DVD version of iWork and I'm trying to figure out whether I'm supposed to be able to get the new version, and if so, how.

Here's what I've done so far: On my clean install of Yosemite, I installed iWork from DVD. The App Store did not show any available updates. I then installed the standalone 9.3 update, which appears to be the newest one available for direct download. The App Store then showed three updates (Pages, Numbers and Keynote), but wouldn't download them (gave an error stating that the apps weren't purchased with my Apple ID, which is of course correct). I then rebooted the computer and the updates disappeared.

I've seen some forum posts stating that you need to "claim" the apps, but I haven't been able to do this. I've tried setting the primary language to US English as advised in one post, and have copied the apps into /Applications instead of the iWork '09 folder as advised in a different post, but the App Store doesn't offer to add the apps to my account.

Am I doing everything correctly? Are DVD versions still supposed to be eligible for updates? Is there some documentation somewhere?

Edit: The updates are showing up again, so I've attached a screenshot of the error.

Edit 2: I found a forum post advising using the guest account to update. That didn't work either; it shows no updates available. Also, as many Google searches are returning Hackintosh information, I'm just confirming that I am using a real MacBook Pro.

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think the free update was free if you already have the current iWork apps in one way or another. So going from say Pages 5.4 to the new Pages 5.5 is free.

I do remember when the newest iWorks versions came out a year or so ago, I got them free because I had iWorks 09 installed that I had previously paid for.

I bought iWorks 09 digital DL from Apple way back when, but I don't see why the iWorks 09 DVD would not work the same way. When the new iWorks came out I was able to just go the App Store and DL each app free. It seemed to recognize my iWorks 09 install and then gave me the free update. I then had the new apps side by side with the old ones in a iWorks 09 folder.

I think where you went wrong is looking for an app update after you installed 09. As I recall the new version did not show up as an update. I had to go to Pages, Numbers, and Keynote pages individually in the App Store and grab them, but they did show as free for me.

You may have borked things now by moving the apps. How about deleting all traces of the 09 apps then resinstall from the DVD then go to the app store and individually searching for the new versions and see if that gives them to you free?

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A direct install from DVD didn't show any updates available; they didn't show up at all until I installed the 9.3 update. Trying to update from the App Store at that point gave the same "unavailable with this ID" message.

I only copied the apps into /Applications and didn't move them, so reverting to the default "iWork '09" arrangement should be trivial. However, it doesn't seem to help as it still just gives the "unavailable" message.

If I navigate to the apps individually then they show with an "Update" button instead of the price, but again I get the "unavailable" error.

I've emailed Apple and asked for details around eligibility and have provided a quick summary of what I've tried. I'll certainly post back here once I have a response.

I think that covers everything. Thanks for your suggestions so far :)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... odd :confused:

I have read of people having trouble "claiming" their upgrades it can help to logout of the App Store then reboot then log back in. Maybe worth a try.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I posted this in another thread a few days ago, maybe it'll be helpful:

I know that there was a bit of confusion it the past, but I ran across this which seems to indicate that iWork 09 owners get the update for free. The link includes some fixes for the update bug.

If these instructions are still correct, it should be possible for people to pick up an old DVD of iWork 09, install it, and then upgrade... which is far cheaper than buying the latest version outright. I just bought an iWork 09 DVD (my iWork 09 came preloaded on my Mac but I wanted a DVD for safekeeping... $10 w/free shipping from a reputable eBay seller) Depending upon one's requirements, it might be better to stick with iWork '09.

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I haven't tried that, so I'll give it a go when I get home.

I'll give that a go too. Thanks to both of you for your help :)

7. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No luck, so I'll just wait and see what Apple says. The site said that it can take up to 48 hours for a response (the confirmation email said 24; let's hear it for consistency!)

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, I finally have an answer. The update is free for "qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after 1 October 2013". I got mine in 2011 so it looks like I'm out of luck :(

9. Weaselboy, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think they are mistaken and they are confusing their update programs.

There are two ways to get the current iWork free. One is with a new Mac like they told you, but the second way is free to all owners of the previous iWork version 09 regardless of when you bought iWork 09 or your Mac.

The "new" I work came out in October 2013 and I got it free because it recognized I had the old iWork 09 installed. I just double checked and I bought that MacBook in June 2013 well before the October 2013 cutoff they mentioned.

I found this, so you are not the only one having troubles.

Edit: In the original thread on this in Oct. 2013 there are lots of reports of your issue. Several people mentioned this workaround. Maybe worth a shot.

10. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Oops, I thought that I'd responded to this.

None of those solutions have worked. At this point I'm just giving up; I plan to get a new machine early next year and it'll come with the latest version included. In the meantime I can still plod along with the old version (it seems to crash immediately on Yosemite but I still have a Mavericks machine, and I don't use iWork all that much so using Mavs isn't a huge problem). The latest version would be nice to have, but it seems that it wasn't meant to be...

11. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Solved! I updated to 10.10.1 today, and out of curiosity tried to get the updates again. This time I got the "add to account" prompt and they've gone in there :)

Looks like it may have been a bug in 10.10.0 that was causing my issues!

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Whew! :) That's an odd OS bug to be sure. Glad you got fixed up.