Eligible for iPhone 3GS upgrade after only 7 months into contract!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sn0warmy, Jul 16, 2009.

1. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

After looking online and talking to many people, I was sure that there was no way I was eligible to upgrade to the 3GS for a discounted price because I have only been in contract with ATT with my iPhone 3G for 7 months.

But after comparing my 3G's performance against a friends 3GS I was very upset with the sluggishness of my iPhone compared to the new one. So on my lunch break today I decided to swing by the AT&T store to see what it would cost me. The girl brings up my account and takes a double take. She says, "I don't understand why, but you are eligible for the 3GS upgrade for $199 if you want it." She said that it must be an error in the system because there is no way I should be eligible for the discounted upgrade after only 7 months in a 24 month contract to qualify. And she said I wouldn't even have to sign a new 2 year contract. The manager confirmed that I was eligible but also didn't understand how it was possible. He said, "I've never seen this before."

So, of course I decide that this is a deal I cannot pass up. So I upgrade to the 16GB 3GS. Happy with my purchase I go back to work. When I get back and tell a coworker what happened he freaks out and says, "dude you realize you can sell your old 3G for like $300 on craigslist right??"

So I throw the old phone up on craigslist for $300. Within 20 minutes I had 21 e-mails from potential buyers. Within 1 hour I had someone come to my office, hand me $300 and walk away with my old 3G.

So, long story short. I started the day with an iPhone 3G and ended the day with a new 3GS and $100 extra in my pocket.

All-in-all I will call today a success.:D:D

2. Appdict macrumors regular

If Apple made fairy tales, this would be one. I hope you backed up your old phone! ;)

3. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I sure did. Got home, plugged the new one into iTunes and within minutes all my contacts, music, settings, ringtones, pics, and e-mail configurations were in place within minutes.

I think everyone should give this a shot, worse case they say you aren't eligible. But if you are eligible take the deal because I truly believe you can get $400 for your old 3G based off all the responses I had for mine on craigslist.

4. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

I upgraded my account to a 3GS on the 19th, and my upgrade date was now set to 2010. Two days later, it got reset, and now I can upgrade again. So that's two upgrades :). I only have a single line btw ;)

5. ms.annette macrumors regular

ms.annette

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sounds good; hopefully AT&T won't spoil your luck....:cool::cool::cool:

7. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Yeah, but to be honest, even if they stick me into another 2 year contract. I am still much happier with them than I ever was with Sprint.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ I'm a former Sprint customer of nearly 10 years; and AT&T is light years ahead of Sprint in so many ways, especially when it comes to anything iPhone. Congrats.....:p:p:p

9. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

WOW!!!:eek:

I can understand it being an error and saying that you can upgrade, bu o just don't get the whole no new contract thing!

Lucky!!!

10. egk69 macrumors 6502

lucky bastard!!, i would pay 399-499 for the new 3GS! (like i did for my 3G 7 months ago) BUT I CANT!! apple and ATT hates me!!! :(:(:(:(

11. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Woah....there is absolutely no way I would pay $400 for the new 3GS when I already had a 3G. I mean, yes this thing is faster. But $400 worth of "faster"??? Absolutely NOT!!!

I was happy with my 3G and I'm a bit happier with the 3GS but the performance difference is not noticeable enough to pay $400m or even $300 IMO. That's for damn sure. It wasn't even until I sold my 3G that I was content paying $200 for the new upgrade.

12. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Actually this is more common than you think. I used to be a Tmobile customer and when the G1 was first being set aside for presale, i ordered one for myself. 3 days later i checked my account and low and behold, it said i can presale again! So i did. I got 2 G1's for 179$ each. I was happy and so was my gf. :D

13. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

14. SeanMcC macrumors regular

Are you still talking about a phone? ;)