Eligible for upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pointbreakd, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Pointbreakd macrumors regular

When I check att's site it says I'm not eligable for an upgrade until 11.8.09. So this means I have to pay $399? Couldn't I just cancel my plan, pay a pro-rated ETF and start over? Sure it's $100 but it's better than $200....didn't at&t consider this?

2. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Actually, isn't it $175?

So it's about the same.

Except cancelling a plan kinda "taints" your account (i think someone on here said that).

4. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

No it's $200 extra to buy an iphone if you aren't eligable to upgrade.

If you cancel it's 175 pro-rated by $5 for the number of months you have had the service. So it would be like $90 for me.

5. RJ17 macrumors regular

I don't know for sure about ATT but for Verizon the prorated ETF is for contracts started since they introduced the prorated ETF. You should probably check with ATT and make sure your account is eligible for the prorated ETF.

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The only issue you might run into in this scenario is trying to keep your old number. If you cancel service your number goes back to the pool, and when you re-activate there are very few guarantees that your number will be available.

You could always port to another carrier who has a few days to terminate your contract without penalty and then port back to get the iPhone, but I can't guarantee that this would work.

7. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

Not true actually, they have to keep your number open if you ask them too (it's your number). It's the law.

8. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

but you do have to wait 90 days apparently once you cancel to start a new plan. doh!