Eliminate ground loop w/ monitor speakers?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by davidnssbm, Aug 10, 2010.

1. davidnssbm macrumors regular

I just bought some beautiful KRK Rokit 5s to go with my imac and I connect them via RCA through the headphone jack on the back of the imac.

I was disappointed to hear that I got static/crackling/feedback. It seems to fluctuate from bad to worse depending on the movement of my magicmouse too.

A little bit of research taught me that this is something called a GROUND LOOP?

How do I eliminate this? Some people have been suggesting this product:

http://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Vo...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1281454907&sr=8-8

But this seems like a shortcut for the problem, and not a solution? Tell me if I'm wrong please because I'm very ignorant about digital audio.

Also, I've read some people say it's a sin to use KRK monitors with RCA cables. Whats your take on this? How else would you do it.

Also, some people swear by an audio interface such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Audi...sical-instruments&qid=1281455203&sr=1-1-spell

But I do not record audio or music, I just want bad ass speakers. Would something like this help the ground loop? Or do I need this anyway?

Thanks

2. lethalillness macrumors member

An interface with balanced outs such as 1/4 (TRS) or XLR would serve way more pleasure to your KRKs because of the digital to analog converters. Not to mention RCA is unbalanced which in short means it picks up electrical frequencies.

As for the war on ground loop, it is sad to say that it is a never ending one. My KRKs get interference from my computer monitors and cable modem. I used to constantly move everything around until one day I just couldn't take it and properly wired everything making sure that no electrical and audio wires touch. It helped a lot but still a little buzz comes in when there is a lot of wireless activity just the way these electronics work.

But I couldn't help to wonder, why did you buy KRKs if you wanted bad ass speakers to listen on? I mean yeah they are great but they aren't made to just listen to music casually on they have a flatter frequency curve for mixing music. Either way I hope you enjoy your KRKs.

3. davidnssbm thread starter macrumors regular

well I also do video editing, so I needed monitors.

So would you recommend an interface like the one I posted? If I get that, do I just get balanced TRS to TRS for each monitor?

EDIT: OH! I forgot. My monitors came with a pair of free XLR cables. Those will work right?

So if I buy the audio pre sonus interface, all I would need to do is plug the interface into the USB, and then the XLRS from the speakers to the interface, right?

4. lethalillness macrumors member

The interface you have chosen is perfectly fine. I don't recall if it has XLR outputs but I don't think it does. You can simply pick up a XLR-to-TRS converter for the outputs of the box if you don't want to get new wires. Either way if you get new wires I recommend the Monster Cable P500 series, wonderful quality, clarity, and durability.