Eliminating excessive dust collecting on iPhone 3G S screen.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Abyssgh0st, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Any have a solution for this? This annoys me so much, and I have a Speck Candyshell so I can't just slide the dust off. Even if I put my iPhone in my pocket for five minutes I pull it out and the screen is covered in dust.

Also, does a screen protector help at all?

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's lint. Wash your pants.

I haven't really seen this issue, I must say. My screen is very surprisingly smudge-and-debris-free.

3. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Yeah sorry but you need to wash your pants pockets better. :p

I'm really loving the new screen. I thought the "oleophobic" thing was gonna be a bit of a gimmick but it's really nice and totally noticeable. I'm kinda surprised Apple hasn't really talked about it.

4. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

The clothes are not the problem. It is obviously dust/lint, but I have tried it with brand new clothes, washed clothes, and my current clothes and they all give the SAME RESULT.

With athletic cloth and mesh clothing it leaves nothing, due to it obviously not absorbing dust into the pockets due to the material.

5. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I feel your pain. My solution is to use the iphone without any case, that way the dust won't make its way to the edge of the screen and get caught under the case and work its way under the glass. My iphone will get slightly scuffed up from setting it down on tables, but I can accept that since I'll probably be upgrading in one year anyway.

6. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I think it is more lint than dust. I might have to sew new mesh pockets on all of my clothes :eek:

7. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Yessssss this is EXACTLY why I don't put a case on my 3G . The lint gathers at the edges and is hard to remove all of it.

8. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Are people really telling this guy to wash his clothes better? REALLY? We all like Apple products here, but come on.

I noticed the 3GS is much more of a lint catcher than the 3G was. Maybe it's the oleophobic coating on the screen.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Blame the oleophobic coating.

I experience a great deal more dust on my 3GS screen than either previous iPhone.

10. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

That's what it came across as :)

It is obviously the oleophobic coating, and personally I'd trade lint for fingerprints any day.

Any suggestions? Screen protectors?