Eliminating input lag on Apple 24 inch display?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ejdge, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ejdge macrumors newbie

Kind of new to LCDs in terms of gaming... is the only way to eliminate any input lag to run the game in the monitor's native resolution?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It sounds like you need a video card that can handle gaming at 1920 x 1200. Can you enlighten if it's something else?

I haven't noticed ghosting on any of the LCDs I've had.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

There's nothing inherent to LCDs that would cause any input lag. Can you describe the problem in more detail?

4. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Hahahahahahahaha what?

I think you might be confusing input lag with response time. All LCDs have input lag. All.

The TN panels have the lowest, usually around the 10 ms mark. The S-PVA and IPS panels have the worst, sometimes upwards of 50-60 ms.

But there's always input lag on an LCD.

5. waiwai macrumors regular

Fastest TN Panels are rated at 2 ms max. Although advertised at 2 ms, its unstable and can fluctuate, but it doesn't fluctuate that greatly. With faster response comes sacrifice in viewing angle and color distortion. All TN panels cannot display true colors, most of the time its "fake" interpolated...

S-PVA is in between TN Panel and S-IPS... They are average in both response and color rendition.

S-IPS = worst response (majority) but the most accurate colors straight out of the box and it is unsurpassed after calibration with a monitor calibrator such as spyder or eye one. These are pro grade panels for graphic/photog work.

The ACD's are S-IPS panels. They are not meant for gaming. The ACD 24" u have is rated at 12 ms G2G (Grey to Grey)... That ain't going to cut it if u intend on playing any sort of fps game... That means if you're playing COD, Source or anything other fps-based game, be prepared for a lot of ghosting and display lag. If ur playing rts or mmorpgs it should be ok.

If ur heavy into gaming, best bet is to invest in a another monitor... ideally a 2 ms monitor (which will always be a TN panel... there aren't any 2 ms S-PVA's or S-IPS monitors atm... I think lowest they go are 4 ms so far, but they are also more expensive than the cheapy TN Panels).

Hope that helps.

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Utter rubbish that you can't game on a 16ms panel. I do so on a regular basis without seeing any ghosting. The difference between 2ms and 16ms is so little the human eye can't register it.

7. sven- macrumors member

1. Only the old ACD's use S-IPS panels. The new 24" LED ACD uses a H-IPS panel.

2. Although the ACD's aren't the best choice for a gaming display, I play Call of Duty 4 quite often on a 20" ACD and I can tell that I don't see any ghosting (this was a problem with the first LCD displays on the market some years ago). So please don't exaggerate.

@ Topicstarter: you can't eliminate the input lag. Just like you can't change or improve the quality of the panel used in your display. It's a hardware thing. If you want less input lag, you'll have to buy a new display.

8. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Color reproduction in TN panels is usually crap. There are a few exceptions though. But even then you need a calibrator.

Quite obviously. Although unfortunately many S-IPS panels have anywhere from 40 to 80ms of input lag.

The response times on any current LCD are pretty much all on par. Only under extreme conditions are you going to see any type of noticeable ghosting. And we're talking CSS tweakers who still harbor love for their CRTs.

The real problem is input lag. Response time on any current LCDs are pretty much on par. They are all playable. But input lag on anything but TN panels can climb pretty high up to the 70 and 80 ms mark. And you might say well that's no big deal.

It is when you're playing multiplayer. Say your connection to the server is around 75ms. Then you add in the response time and the input lag to get the actual figure. So with a monitor that spikes around 80ms input lag, you're well into 160ms lag. People with insanely good pings to their multiplayer servers can afford that much input lag, but most people can't as it puts you at a pretty decent disadvantage.
    [/QUOTE]

Some more so than others if you're a real hardcore FPS twitcher. But if it's just a gaming monitor, just get a cheapo TN panel in 1680x1050. I don't think there are common ones that go above 10-20ms on input lag.

But if you go for an IPS panel, don't look for response time, look at input lag. That's something that isn't listed on any box. You have to check out monitor reviews to get any decent figures. The single most important factor for anyone buying a gaming LCD today should be input lag.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I think the OP means input lag like when you press the fire button the gun actually fires a bit later, or you move the mouse but the turn-around action doesn't execute until after a delay.

This generally happens to me when I set higher resolutions in games such as UT3, COD4, etc.

10. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Agreed with the above. Anything above 10-20ms IS a big deal if you're a serious CS/CSS twitch gamer. If you look at the recorded demo logged response times of highly competitive FPS gamers, the difference between the best players and the merely great is often consistently 5-15ms in those pure fast twitch, who pushes his button first scenarios.

Those accumulated ms response times are the difference between first prize $10k+ or second place ($2k).