eliminating previous owner information and password

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sganschow, Feb 16, 2010.

1. sganschow macrumors newbie

I bought a nearly brand new MacBook today (1 month old). The machine itself is in fantastic shape.

However, for the life of me, I cannot get rid of the previous owners information. He was also not comfortable disclosing the password, which happens to be the admin - which is fine. I want to respect the guys privacy, despite no knowing him from atom.

I have tried to do a total reformat, and his info is still there. I've tried the root password change - still there (and I'm fairly sure I did it right). I'm fine doing a 3rd reformat if it erases EVERYTHING (admin password and previous account especially) - but I am not seeing the option for that when I put the boot disk in or look around for it around. I just want this guys info gone, and mine in its place.

What grinds my gears the most is that I've done this before. I got an iBook G4 back in 05' and managed to eliminate all the data and start from scratch. It's been a very disheartening afternoon because I know I've done this before...and can no longer figure it out (which is a testament to the consistent, incredible running of the G4 I currently type on).

I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If the previous owner's admin account is there after a reformat, then you didn't reformat. You likely did a archive and install, which is the default action when using the OSX install disc. There should be an option for a clean install. I haven't needed to do it, so not sure the exact phrasing or when you choose it.

4. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Which copy of Mac OS X do you have? If Snow Leopard, follow this guide and you should be sorted. :)

Beaten to it by spinnerlys :)

5. sganschow thread starter macrumors newbie

It is Snow Leopard - I'm trying this now. I'll post whether not this was successful - thanks!

6. chipandtoast macrumors member

Good Luck!

7. sganschow thread starter macrumors newbie

I am currently going through the erase function - zeroing the disk out. I want to be as efficient as possible.

8. sganschow thread starter macrumors newbie

This is exactly what I needed to get the job done. Thank you! Seriously appreciated. I'm now running at 100% w/ all my own info!

9. sganschow thread starter macrumors newbie

I had found this article earlier today, but in my impatience and frustration - didn't read it as carefully as I should have. I'm glad you re-posted it. Upon reading it - I actually felt a lot better - as it mentions that this is different than other install disks - as it was more of an upgrade. I felt slightly vindicated upon reading it, actually...so thanks again! Appreciate everyone's help.