Ellen Degeneres? I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

I am not just talking about American Idol. It's her in general. I see nothing funny or appealing about her. I have no problem with lesbians. I just don't get why anyone would like her. So boring :confused:

2. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

She's funny. Intersting how you brought up the fact she is a lesbian though.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes, I agree that it is remarkable how someone makes that part of their point. It is similar to saying that you like everyone even gay people. :rolleyes:

I like Ellen, I find her pretty funny. She has real good energy from what I can see.

4. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Well I guess I am a misfit because I just don't get her appeal. Believe me it has nothing to do with her sexual orientation--sorry I even mentioned it.

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I think she used to be real funny. Then when she came out her comedy got very lesbian centric and strained, almost an over compensation. She seems better now, more centered, very comfortable with herself, very funny again.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's the point, you did mention it, which to me implies it matters even just a little. I don't think you're a misfit. If you're going to start a discussion and then pack your damn toys and go home the second two lousy people on the interwebz get mad at you then you're not cut out for the thread starting business. So we don't agree with you ... why would it matter?

I like her, you don't ... it is ok and tomorrow the sun will come up just like it did today and we'll go on disagreeing. :)

7. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Do you plan on making a thread for everyone you don't like? Everyone doesn't like someone. How are you confused by this concept? :p

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Personally, I don't find her all that funny. But at times she is.

For me that's true about most comedians.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I like Kathy Griffin

There, I said it

:)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I don't like her schtick either. The "I'm confused, where am I thing" isn't funny to me and her dancing isn't all that funny either.

Its not fun, its not funny, but to each their own.

11. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

She was funny decades ago on Martin Shorts Women of the Night along with Judy Tenuta, Rita Rudner, Liz Winstead, and of course everybody's favorite female comedianne/child molester Paula Poundstone....unfortunately none of them has lasted the test of time.

I think Ellens biggest problem with trying to be funny is that she overplayed the whole lesbian bit and a lot of people got burned out on it.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Actually, I didn't see anything wrong with it until I read the replies in this thread. He/she probably mentioned it because it is, unfortunately realistic in our society for some people to not like someone because that person is gay. He was just getting that one possibility out of the way.

I know there are lots of reasons not to like her or anyone, and yet he didn't point out any of these other reasons in the original post, but none would be as controversial as that one.

Me too.

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I find her very personable. Idol seems a bit of as mismatch for her in my eyes, or at least, I could think of many other people I'd rather see in her place.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

From a Brits POV, I can see why the reasons behind the first post.
    It's like if someone had said "I don't like Chris Evans, but I'm not against gingers" or "I don't like Jonathan Ross, but I'm not against people with speech impediments" or something about Parkinson and northerners.
    As hosts they're meant to have characteristics. All I've heard about Ellen (through these forums and the few US shows I watch) is that she came out and that was a really big deal for some reason, and that her comedy reflected that.
    So if emphasising her sexuality is (or sounds like was) part of her performance then I can see why the OP would make that comment.

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

I agree with that as well. I bet the people trying to rock the OP for even mentioning her sacred sexuality are typical forum witch hunters. Not that I can be bothered trailing through the forum to prove it.

Oversensitivity is insecurity peoplesss.....

16. Queso macrumors G4

LOL. You need to put down the keyboard and get out more :D

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

That doesn't really make sense coming from a Demi-God :confused:

18. Queso macrumors G4

Some would say we know this better than anyone ;)

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Are you really this bored? Surely you can find a better cause in some corner of the internet.

20. Queso macrumors G4

And yet you keep replying. Strange that.

21. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

austin powers is a character portrayed by mike myers. austin powers is not a real brit. well, if he were real, he would arguably be the coolest brit... yeah, baby, yeah.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just subscribing. I can't wait for the Ellen Fanboys to arrive. :D

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You do realize that a demi-god has nothing to do with post count. Pony up $25 and you too just became a demi-god. Come to think of it, I have an idea. ;)

My point in questioning why her so-called sacred sexuality was brought into the mix is that it seemed just as unnecessary to mention as it is for the "forum witch hunters", as you deemed us, to pick that statement and run with it.

What you fail to understand is that the OP wrote it, some "forum witch hunters" jumped on it, and you somehow didn't contribute by further highlighting it? Yeah, that makes total sense.

24. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I agree. Her talent was a "good fit" for a sitcom, but the talk show thing left me scratching my head from Day 1. As to the controversy, if I'm not mistaken, she had the talk show before she "came out" about her homosexuality.

Me too.

Yes, even more so than the talk show! When I heard that for the first time, my reaction was "What?!".

25. bearbear macrumors regular

Agreed. The thread couldn't even go 1 post without someone overreacting.

That said, people like Ellen because she's funny and seems down to earth.