Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobbyDavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I'm very proud of it and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

BobbyDavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
The reward tier was changed to get more of these out there at a lower pledge amount.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
You're gonna need all the luck you can get to be honest. And please save us the death grip marketing nonsense..

BobbyDavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
You're gonna need all the luck you can get to be honest. And please save us the death grip marketing nonsense..

What's non-sense about how people hold their iPhone? I saw a problem and I came up with a way to address the problem. It may not be for everybody but it works for me and it could work for others too. It's a home grown solution that I worked hard on. Like anything else on the market, if you find value with it, buy it. If not, then don't buy it. My feelings won't get hurt if it fails but I finally got my vision for a solution out there for people to at least see.

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Honestly can't say it's something I'd want.

It looks bulky & bulbous, the ring bit seems more gimmicky than practical. If I attached my keys to it then it becomes useless for its intended purpose. (On my finger with all sorts of keys dangling from it and the iPhone)

I carry my iPhone in a $12 leather belt holster.

A little interesting reading on Gizmodo about kickstarter.
http://gizmodo.com/5897449/were-done-with-kickstarter
But I do not need another iPhone dock or case. Yes, I am proud of you for attaching a rollerskate to a camera. Wow, that iPod Nano watch is such an original idea. Yes, I am aware that you can put a #%&*@ bottle opener on just about anything. Please stop.
keydd.jpg

BobbyDavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I saw the Gizmodo article a few days ago. Ah yes, where we would be without Gizmodo telling us what's cool. I guess I can't really add much other than you gotta try it to really appreciate it. Not much of sales pitch but I am trying to solve more than how to open a beer bottle. The ring can stay on the phone or you can store it on a nipple ring if you choose. The keychain just illustrates some options, that's all. The thing, with ring, fits in my pants pocket no problem.
Again, my feelings don't get hurt by negative feedback but I do get frustrated when it's quickly dismissed with a pithy dismissive remark without inquiry.
I wonder, if this idea came from one of big manufactures, would it be dismissed so quickly?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
What's non-sense about how people hold their iPhone? I saw a problem and I came up with a way to address the problem. It may not be for everybody but it works for me and it could work for others too. It's a home grown solution that I worked hard on. Like anything else on the market, if you find value with it, buy it. If not, then don't buy it. My feelings won't get hurt if it fails but I finally got my vision for a solution out there for people to at least see.

You came here for constructive criticism no? Then let me tell you that your funding goal is over the top and most likely will never be met. That's my two cents though. You might need more family members and friends to back this project. The market is overcrowded especially with gimmicky things like this, unless you come up with something really ingenious, it's going to be very tough.

BobbyDavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
You came here for constructive criticism no? Then let me tell you that your funding goal is over the top and most likely will never be met. That's my two cents though. You might need more family members and friends to back this project. The market is overcrowded especially with gimmicky things like this, unless you come up with something really ingenious, it's going to be very tough.

Fair enough. The funding goal is high but most of that is to cover tooling costs, about 15k just for the molds alone. Gimmicky may be a little strong but none the less, critiques are what I wanted and constructive critiques I shall accept.
I went into this Kickstarter campaign planning for the best but preparing for the worst. "If you don't fail you're not even trying.".

EDIT: Come to think of it, do you even know how much it costs to get a product made? Do you know my costs? No you do not.

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I wish the OP the best on his projects, I may try the kickstarter route myself someday. I'm an embedded hardware developer, I also dabble in the packaging.

Food for thought:
1. I can't imagine any smartphone owner that wants their scratchy keys anywhere near their device.
2a. Detachable gubbins have the nasty habit of detaching when you least want them to. I don't know what materials you're using but a flexible plastic will never hold and a rigid plastic will break. If the ring is metal it'll probably hold up but will also require a pretty nifty clasp as to not wear, damage or shear the plastic casing.
2b. Have you ever seen a plastic keyring?
3. You don't need cutouts for the antennas in the plastic.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Keep up the good work OP. It's better than the case I made.

That ring looks perfect for... :eek:
It the :eek: means what I think you're talking about you must be really tiny. No way my junk is fitting.... if you're not then what ARE you talking about?

BobbyDavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I wish the OP the best on his projects, I may try the kickstarter route myself someday. I'm an embedded hardware developer, I also dabble in the packaging.

Food for thought:
1. I can't imagine any smartphone owner that wants their scratchy keys anywhere near their device.
2a. Detachable gubbins have the nasty habit of detaching when you least want them to. I don't know what materials you're using but a flexible plastic will never hold and a rigid plastic will break. If the ring is metal it'll probably hold up but will also require a pretty nifty clasp as to not wear, damage or shear the plastic casing.
2b. Have you ever seen a plastic keyring?
3. You don't need cutouts for the antennas in the plastic.

1. The keys/keychain are just for just to illustrate options. You can clip the ring to your nipple ring for all I care. If you had watched the video, you would have saw that he clip portion of keyring detaches from the keys. It's a detachable keyring so the key half can stay in your pocket while you use the clip half.

2a. Other detachable gubbins weren't designed by me. The clip and case have been riding around in my pocket for months now. Works great for me. It would be just fine in your skinny jeans too.

2b. No, I've never seen a plastic keyring. Never, ever.

3. According to Apples technical guidelines for case manufacturers, certain plastics do block signal. I haven't settled on the final material yet so I designed for the the cutout now. From a CAD design perspective, it's easier to design the cutout now and remove it later than it is to try and add it later to the CAD drawings.

I do appreciate the feedback but a lot of it based on incomplete and erronous assumptions of the product and product design. What you see is prototype #1, so yes, of course there is room for refinement.

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Keep up the good work OP. It's better than the case I made.

It the :eek: means what I think you're talking about you must be really tiny. No way my junk is fitting.... if you're not then what ARE you talking about?

Actually I was referring to a finger, hence the reference to the guy who lost one trying to hold onto an iPad being stolen.

As for Gizmodo and other sites like it, it was often a plug from those sites that drove investors into a fury.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Wow, there sure are "salty" people in here. WHY so much hate on someone's design? I don't get it.

If you like it, great support the project. If not, your irrelevant opinion(s) are not necessary. It's not like he's forcing you to buy this case.

Pathetic.

Benson11

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
It's an elegant and secured way indeed. Hope this project will be welcome properly.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
Wow, there sure are "salty" people in here. WHY so much hate on someone's design? I don't get it.

If you like it, great support the project. If not, your irrelevant opinion(s) are not necessary. It's not like he's forcing you to buy this case.

Pathetic.

Finally someone with some logic. Some of the comments here are just downright rude.

You came here for constructive criticism no?

That's called being a dick, not giving constructive criticism. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.