Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
This is a common part of the acquisition process. If notable irregularities are discovered upon "opening up the books", a deal may be renegotiated or either side could decide to back out. Even after the Twitter deal was tentatively approved at $54.20/share, the stock remained below $50 and is now around $40 in pre-market trading. Meanwhile, Tesla stock had dropped around 36% since Musk announced his 9.2% purchase of Twitter.

Reactions: IG88 and cmichaelb

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
He just bought a trashcan, and starts to have second thoughts. Even if he say he is still in to buy it.
The amount of fake accounts will be more when counted and then he back away as he got wrong info.

I wouldn't pay a $ for Twitter.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
so much mind reading in this thread and personal projection. I love me some Elon Derangement Syndrome. toot toot, trains a boarding. Queue the spicy tweet and silly photo embedded in an opinionated click bait driven headline:
GettyImages-1229901940.jpg

'HE CANT SMILE! HE CANT EXPRESS HIMSELF! THATS NOT ALLOWED!! REEEE

Anyways-

what if... and hear me out... cause I know its so beyond the pale... he wants to make sure that he's getting what he paid for?

If you were scheduled to meet up and buy a used 256gb iPad, wouldn't you want to get into settings on the device and verify that is has the storage the seller advertised? and if it were 'mistakenly' a 64gb, wouldn't you want to at least re-negotiate (assuming it was a tolerable downgrade to cope with and not a deal breaker)

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Why didn't Twitter reject this deal? Now they're beholden to the whims of an unpredictable billionaire. Chasing the almighty dollar doesn't have to mean selling your soul to the devil, I mean to Musk.

Because they are beholden to stockholders NOT ideology as a publicly traded company.
They would have to explain coherently why not accepting a 44 billion offer is for the common good of its stockholders. lmao is it really that hard to understand these things I genuinely wonder or are some folks just repellent to basic realities?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Musk is a troll that just happens to have billions of dollars of disposable income. He's impulsive and often backs off from his statements (Tesla going private, full self driving capabilities, unrealistic SpaceX timelines, etc). I think his advisors have finally managed to start pulling him down to reality on this. Blowing $44B on Twitter is a bad investment (he'll never get it back) and an even worse impulse buy for a toy he'll get tired of quickly.

Last edited:

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
I hope he cancels. I think he'll make Twitter worse.

Dont like Tesla Cars either. Once they catch on fire takes a long time to put out a battery acid fire. Just ask a fireman.
Lithium batteries don’t use acid. Conventional lead acid batteries do and lead acid batteries don’t catch fire. The lithium in lithium batteries does catch fire if they get too hot.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
so much mind reading in this thread and personal projection. I love me some Elon Derangement Syndrome. toot toot, trains a boarding. Queue the spicy tweet and silly photo embedded in an opinionated click bait driven headline:
GettyImages-1229901940.jpg

'HE CANT SMILE! HE CANT EXPRESS HIMSELF! THATS NOT ALLOWED!! REEEE

Anyways-

what if... and hear me out... cause I know its so beyond the pale... he wants to make sure that he's getting what he paid for?

If you bought a used 256gb iPad, wouldn't you want to get into settings on the phone and verify that is has the storage the seller advertised? and if it were 'mistakenly' a 64gb, wouldn't you want to at least re-negotiate (assuming it was a tolerable downgrade to cope with and not a deal breaker)

Maybe, just hear me out here, he should have done traditional due diligence before making an offer like is done in almost every business purchase. Instead, he signed an offer without even looking at the books. But, let's be honest, this isn't the real problem. The truth is he can't raise the capital to close the deal without selling so much Tesla stock that he loses control of the company. So instead of facing the wrath of costly litigation for making a bad-faith offer and causing a loss to twitter shareholders, he is trying to shift the blame in order to save face and ultimately himself from legal liability.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Maybe, just hear me out here, he should have done traditional due diligence before making an offer like is done in almost every business purchase. Instead, he signed an offer without even looking at the books. But, let's be honest, this isn't the real problem. The truth is he can't rise the capital to close the deal without selling so much Tesla stock that he loses control of the company. So instead of facing the wrath of costly litigation for making a bad-faith offer and causing a loss to twitter shareholders, he is trying to shift the blame to to save face and ultimately legal liability.

lol an armchair investor and dealmaker suggesting what he should have done, with his own money, when what he has done and is doing is of no consequence to you, is wonderful. Your knee jerk reaction has little relevance in a long game situation.

Your anger is misguided

"It's not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves"

--

Anyone notice how touchy a certain side gets about free speech potentially being restored? Their ideas stink and the only way they've had any credence is from suppression of dissent, specifically censorship.

Fun times ahead!

Substance90

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
I know there are theoretically more evil CEOs out there like Jeff Bezos, but I hate Elon with a passion. What a horrible human being on so many levels.

• Haha
Reactions: djstile

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
He knows exactly what he's doing. He's been using Twitter to bend the stock market and crypto to his will for years. It's all just a game to him. Billionaires don't become billionaires by being nice.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I know there are theoretically more evil CEOs out there like Jeff Bezos, but I hate Elon with a passion. What a horrible human being on so many levels.

If there's so many, please, do enlighten.

Let's hear how EV Tesla is worse than all other car manufacturers morally. I would be curious.
Let's hear how exploring space is a maniacal endeavor.
Let's hear how ostensibly opening up free speech instead of letting some anonymous partisan dweebs decide what can be read, said, and thought would be the downfall of the downtrodden West.

Here's the other rules, these are automatically exempt and disqualifying:
-copying and pasting URL's to rage filled clickbait articles, use your own words and thoughts if you can
-spicy tweets of no consequence
-projection/mind reading
-silly photos used a central argument, see below:
5113.jpg

Last edited:

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
Taking the basis of purchase by Musk being his stock holdings in Tesla (now needing approx 35 billion of it since he raised cash via outside investors) being down so much.

There in lies the reasoning BUT I can’t believe Elon didn’t forsee our economy as he only was projecting one quarter out.

He has the best economists in the business. I don’t for one second believe they didn’t forsee the stock value swing that even your local stock broker could see coming with 100% certainty. Nor do I see todays tweet as earth shattering regarding deal.

You can only print so much money on one end while spending it faster on the other end. One would think there is more to it than we are seeing this moment.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's illegal for a publicly traded firm to overstate its value. If the fake accounts were found to be 15% or 20%, for example, the stock price would be overvalued.
Hasn't everyone known forever that Twitter (and FB for that matter) have tons of fake accounts? Is he just finding out today? His lawyers must suck.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Hasn't everyone known forever that Twitter (and FB for that matter) have tons of fake accounts? Is he just finding out today? His lawyers must suck.
Just because 'it's obvious' to you, me, and I'm sure many others, no not 'everyone has known forever'... and even if that were so, it's now permissible to willfully deceive shareholders for financial gain on the grounds that it's 'obvious' deceit?

Reactions: MacNeb and djstile
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.