Elysium's Smart Watch Gives One Use to the Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 22, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

In the Matt Damon sci-fi flick Elysium, the wealthy have smart watches not unlike :apple:'s. Perhaps there is one use to the smart watch. When you're at a party, as many know, you'd probably be checking your phone every 10-20 minutes or more at a time. If there's an emergency, the smart watch is perfect for that type of alert.

Now that I think about it more without digressing too much, (I may expand on this in another thread) we could be moving towards phablets replacing tablets and smart watches replacing phones.

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I love smartwatches. Used in the proper way, they give the user more subtle notifications without dragging out their smartphone all the time.

My worry is that society has barely come up with manners for using smartphones. Now here comes possible mass usage of another personal device that will demand attention.

I suspect that we can look forward to pre-show announcements at Broadway and movie theatres, urging people to both turn off their smartphones and remove their smartwatches... or at least keep them in their laps instead of raising them to see what the latest notification is.

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Easiest is to turn on vibrate and do not disturb mode. I've had no problems with this using my Pebble.

4. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

I kinda like that "tap" to discretely signal to your friend. Its a first world problem for sure, but still cool

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Because of the ability to draw or tap answers to multiple choice questions via your watch, now they're gonna have to ban them from exams :)

Disclosure: in fourth grade we all learned Morse Code, just for this purpose.

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Good point there. Not just because of that, but since you can search the web pretty discretely as well. Wouldn't want to wear one to school just to be constantly taking a $400 watch off.

7. odds macrumors 6502

Just be discreet about it and no one will know, especially in the early days of the WATCH. >:]

8. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I feel sorry for the students, who will be asked to remove their nice mechanical watches because of some idiots using the Apple Watch to cheat.