eMac 1.0Ghz ATI Speaker Grille Removal

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by alexprib, Mar 10, 2016.

1. alexprib macrumors newbie

alexprib

Just bought an eMac on eBay and discovered that there is a lot of maintenance to be done. The speaker holes contain lots of dust and hair and I am wondering if it is possible to remove the grilles without breaking them. I can take apart the eMac if needed, but I heard that you can just 'pop' off the speaker grilles on older 700 and 800 eMacs.

Thanks,

Alex

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Nope, at least not from the outside. I tried on the school eMacs in like 2007 and that kinda broke one of the grills. Just get compressed air an blow it out

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, from the outside.
    I made a simple tool by opening a paper clip, then bending the last 1/8-inch almost to a right angle.
    You can feed the "hook" into a hole along the edge of the speaker grill, then gently tug out. Move to a different hole, and tug again. Two or three pulls should loosen enough to come out completely.

update: I tried the tool that I keep in my "tool" drawer like I described. I had a 2005 eMac until recently that i used to clean the speakers occasionally by popping out the grill. I have an eMac ati (slightly older, but same small hole speaker grill) here in front of me. I could turn the grill, yet could not pull it out. YMMV.
    [guote]Just get compressed air an blow it out[/quote]