eMac 1.25 GHz startup just beeps

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by glenh2oman, Apr 3, 2010.

1. glenh2oman macrumors newbie

I recently acquired an eMac that was said to be working, but when I try to start it up, all I get is a beep or two, and nothing further. The machine is (I was told, I haven't been able to verify due to startup issues) OSX 10.4, 1.25 GHz. I put 256 mb RAM in, and I know that particular RAM stick works, b/c I used it successfully in my other 700 mhz eMac. Shouldn't the machine start up without beeps once the RAM is in? I can't even get to the startup chime, so I can't do safe mode, FTM, or anything... When I push the power button, I hear the CRT firing up (but no picture displays), the fan comes on, and the white light on front comes on. After a few seconds, the machine beeps, and does nothing further... just that little white light mocking me. Is there any way I can fix this without having to tear into everything? I've done quite a bit of work on 700 MHz eMacs, but I'm not sure if the later models are the same internally. Any guidance or help is greatly appreciated.

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Have you put the correct RAM in yet? If yes, and the problem is persisting, then you need to examine the logic board.

If you'll enable Private Messaging in your user profile, or PM me with an email address, I'll send you links to complete technical manuals for all models of eMac.