eMac a good deal?

skubish

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I can't decide between these 2 Macs. It seems like for basic everyday apps (Safari, word processing, iLife apps) the eMac is a much better deal. For $150 more I would get an eMac with twice the hard drive space (and 7200rpm), 8X superdrive, a better graphics card. I have an extra monitor for the mini but I would still need to get a keyboard and mouse. How is the display on the eMac? Is it nice and bright? Reliable?

Thanks

eMac
1.42GHz
512MB Ram
Superdrive
160GB HD
Airport Card
Applecare
$1089

Mac Mini
1.42GHz
512MB Ram
80GB HD
Superdrive
Wired Keyboard and Mouse
Airport card
Applecare
$936

Ryan T.

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2005
Rochester, NY
If you're going to be spending around $1000, I recommend saving a couple hundred more and getting an iMac G5. A far superior machine to either of those.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Ryan T.
If you're going to be spending around $1000, I recommend saving a couple hundred more and getting an iMac G5. A far superior machine to either of those.
Ryan T. hit it on the nail...
If money is a concern also check out the recons. (red tag sale) on the Apple site as you can get the iMac at a good price that way along with Applecare at a later time or asap. Enjoy whatever you get :)

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
The current eMac deal is great and if space and design dont worry you i would save the $$$ and get an eMac over a iMac as the eMac will be fine for what you are doing (it is a very powerful machine) not far behind the iMac G5's.......

The Mac mini is not worth your while unless you already have a monitor already.....

ShadOW ;)

jwp1964

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Enterprise, KS
Go with the eMac

If you are not a power user and aesthetics are not your among your priorities I think the eMac gives the most bang for the buck especially if you qualify for a student or government discount IMHO.

E

emac kinda guy

I find my emac display nice and bright and quite detailed compared to my work box (Windows). Only thing is that sometimes when the speakers are turned up full, you can see shadow-like vibrations in the display.

skubish asked: How is the display on the eMac? Is it nice and bright? Reliable?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Don't forget, the eMac has video-out as well. For $20 you can get a cable and mirror to your other monitor, or even a TV with a different cable (also about $20). With the hack (no, it will not void your warranty) you can even have dual displays.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
solvs said:
Don't forget, the eMac has video-out as well. For $20 you can get a cable and mirror to your other monitor, or even a TV with a different cable (also about $20). With the hack (no, it will not void your warranty) you can even have dual displays.
Thanks for all the advice. This is one question I had. Can I turn off the CRT on the eMac and just use and external monitor? Is there any hack to do this?

About the iMac question: That is what I am struggling with. It started with wanted a Mini, then for just a few dollars more I can get an eMac, for a XX dollars more I can get an iMac...

If I had unlimited budget I would either get a top end iMac or a PM with a nice display.

My situation is that I have an old PC (athlon 1.8GHZ, 1GB Ram, Radeon 9600xt). The wife isn't on board with switching to Mac yet so I just wanted something to tide me over until she is convinced to switch and by then the new intel Macs will be out.

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
No, there is no way to turn the eMac's internal monitor off. Still, its a pretty decent monitor as long as you don't turn the resolution too high (the max resolution is limited to something like 72hz, which is too strainful for my eyes), and use some external speakers since the internal ones cause the monitor to vibrate.