Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Guys,

I have an Emac which has an Airport card in it. The card was added a couple of years ago by the previous owner.

I also have a Mac Mini G4, which i am using as an iTunes base for my music. The mini is connected to the home network via ethernet. I am thinking of transferring the airport card from the emac to the m/mini g4.

right now, i am not sure of the specs of the airport card, though i had in the past peeked into the emac. Would the the card be useable on the M/Mini G4... any ideas ...opinions ... thank you..

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
The mini can't utilize the AirPort card in your eMac.

In order to have WiFi in the mini, you need an Apple Airport/Bluetooth upgrade kit which is the special card and the required antennas.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Too bad I can't use it. So, the airport card for the mini would be 2 in 1....wifi & bt. Hmm HV to hunt for it now.....

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Gavinstubbs is mostly correct here.
The oldest minis take the same Airport Extreme card that you find in your eMac.
The later G4 mini, AKA Late 2005, takes the combo card.

If you have a mini, either 1.25 or 1.42 GHz processor, then you can use the eMac AE card.
If the newer 1.33 or 1.5 GHz, then you need the combo card.
Apple used to sell an upgrade kit to add wireless to the mini. I don't know if those kits are available anywhere.
As Gavinstubbs09 said, you likely need the antennas, too, which would be part of that kit.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Error sorry.

----------

The mini can't utilize the AirPort card in your eMac.

In order to have WiFi in the mini, you need an Apple Airport/Bluetooth upgrade kit which is the special card and the required antennas.

This is from an I sight imac g5 17" Do you think that this might work on the mini?..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
According to what I can find, that card you have pictured (from an iSight iMac G5) should be OK in a mini that will accept it.

As I already posted - depends on which mini G4 you have….
Older G4 uses the Airport Extreme card, and newer G4 mini uses a combo card like the one that you show.

added - I do see in your other thread that you say you have a 1.25GHz mini G4. That's the oldest model (different from the Late 2005 mini), and will NOT take the card that you picture. The Airport Extreme (same as used in the newer eMacs) is correct.

Last edited:

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
According to what I can find, that card you have pictured (from an iSight iMac G5) should be OK in a mini that will accept it.

As I already posted - depends on which mini G4 you have….
Older G4 uses the Airport Extreme card, and newer G4 mini uses a combo card like the one that you show.

added - I do see in your other thread that you say you have a 1.25GHz mini G4. That's the oldest model (different from the Late 2005 mini), and will NOT take the card that you picture. The Airport Extreme (same as used in the newer eMacs) is correct.

Hi, thx for your reply. Thanks for the research. As such, I gather that this card from an eMac should fit my 1.25ghz. True enough, EveryMac states that it is a 2005 model.
Here is a pic of the Emac's card. The cable which was attached to A/e is the antenna right ? I do have the cable as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 107

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, the cable is the antenna wire.
The antenna for the mini will be different - with the antenna at the other end (about 1/2-inch in size, and padded edges, looks just like this:

Attachments

• mini wifi.png
    mini wifi.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 173
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.