eMac CRT Flickering

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SkyBell, Aug 15, 2013.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My beloved eMac has, over the course of the past few months, been exhibiting odd CRT behavior. Sometimes it happens constantly, sometimes only once or twice every few minutes; generally, no matter what I'm doing on it, the screen seems to slightly change size and brightness very quickly, and just as quickly reverts back to normal. Again, sometimes it happens constantly, hence the "flickering", sometimes it's very intermittent. Could this be a sign of the CRT on its last leg? :(

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is it the raster shift that happens to some eMacs? Are you able to test it with an external display?

3. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

I did have to google that to find out what it was. :eek: But it seems that what I am experiencing is similar in the "shaking" regard, but nothing like parts of the screen just not working.

When I originally posted this thread, it was doing a lot of the flickering. I restarted it before I ran to the store, and since I have come back, it has been absolutely perfect. This is the kind of weird "on/off" behavior it has.

Unfortunately, I do not have the correct adapter to use it with my external VGA monitors.

4. RamCpu macrumors member

the lower the resolution the high the available refresh rate

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

We used to have an electric mantle clock that sat on a shelf a few inches above the spot on the desk where our Bondi Blue iMac (and then later a Dell 17" CRT) sat and when the the iMac or CRT were set at certain resolutions (frequencies) they had a shimmer (for lack of a better term). This issue could be resolved by setting them at a different resolution or moving the clock, we eventually moved the clock. Maybe your situation is something like this.

6. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Hmm, I've had certain devices make a couple of my act CRT's funny before, could be related. I will certainly try a different resolution - it's probably time to "upgrade" from 1024x768 anyway. :p

7. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, I changed my resolution from 1024x768 to 1152x864 two days ago, and there has been not a sign of screen flicker since. :) Hopefully it stays that way! Thanks for everyone's help!

8. B-G macrumors regular

I'm having exactly the same problem with my eMac. The "flickering" seems to be more frequent in the minutes after start up.
    Is changing the screen resolution still working for you?

9. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

It has actually reared its ugly head two or three times since, but only briefly for a few seconds, then back to normal. Still a large improvement from how bad it used to be. :p