emac CRT isolation

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mrslig100, Aug 19, 2013.

1. mrslig100 macrumors newbie

Hi macrumors. :)
    This is my first thread here.
    All forums are different I can't wait to see what its like here.
    Any way back on topic :p

I as you've probably guessed have an emac.
    My problem is that is from the stone ages and I wish to put the contents of my old gaming machine into it. I can easily build a VGA adapter for the CRT but the problem ive faced is getting it to simply turn on. The power button connects to the logic board and the tube will not function without it. Is their a way to trip it into thinking its plugged in, or am I going to have to get a board out of a similar CRT monitor and replace the current one?

2. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

It would be easier to take everything out of the emac and replace the CRT with a regular LCD display. Less power hungry, less heat and much easier to do than that.

However, yes, it's technically possible to trick the CRT to power it up without a computer attached (I don't know specifically how, but look at the pinouts for your display, it should be easy to do). Keep in mind that you also have to make an adapter for the internal video signal of the CRT to VGA, to input video from a regular VGA port. As I said, the other option is replace everything with a LCD, with an already built-in VGA connector.

3. mrslig100 thread starter macrumors newbie

"replace the CRT with a regular LCD display"
    I SHALL DO NO SUCH THING!!!
    The CRT is the whole reason this things not for parts on eBay!
    CRT's are beautiful! that's why im trying to plug another board into it.
    I would sooner smash it up!
    Anyway now that's out of my system :p
    Ill try more pin outs. Ive found all ya standard 5-12v out ones n whatnot But I haven't a clue which ones trick the CRT.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

5. patriciooholegu macrumors member

Yesterday came home my eMac purchased almost for nothing: 1.42ghz, 2gb ram, bluetooth and airport included. Great machine...(There are plenty of it in Argentina,used in mint condition, available for very little money because of outdated software in powerpc world).
    But the main idea for it is to try to hack CRT, to work as standalone monitor, and being able to put any motherboard inside.
    I know its not going to be easy (Some people have tried this before with no sucess).
    I´m an expert laptop- electronic level- technician.
    Wish my luck...
    Sorry about my English.