eMac died?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by logics8, Feb 23, 2014.

1. logics8 macrumors member

Well, I still use my eMac and today when I started it up the fan started then stopped. And it sounds like something on the motherboard died or something. Anybody know about this death on eMacs and how to possibly fix or extract my HD?

2. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Those machines apparently had quite lot of capacitor problems. Capacitors can be replaced relatively easily. You could use guides from iFixit to disassemble the machine and check if capacitor show visible damage, capacitors may be bulged or even leak but sometimes they don't show external signs at all. However, since that problem is so common with that machine, I would guess it's the case here.

Edit: quick googling found this:
    http://www.sunrisepage.com/computers/machardware/ppc/emac.htm

3. logics8 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm. I'll look into it. But for now I just unplugged it for a few hours and plugged it back in. Seems to be working fine for now.

4. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

OK, observe how the machine behaves, if it works fine without any problems for next couple days then it might have been something temporary. However if capacitors are faulty the machine may sometimes work fine and then suddenly hang or refuse start. For example I once had PC which had motherboard going faulty because of capacitors, it required two start attempts from cold, first one resulted it hanging on bios screen, power down and power up, then it worked fine until I powered it down, then same thing repeated.

You may try running something processor intensive, HD flash video, Geekbench etc.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Would you be able to post the first five digits of the serial number? That would give us a good idea of its exact age. With that we can better determine if it may have a capacitor problem.

6. logics8 thread starter macrumors member

I'm using target disk and doing a TechTools of the computer right now.

----------

The Serial looks like G03471MUPPB

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That serial number is within the time frame for eMacs with capacitor problems. Failing capacitors in the power supply could be responsible for the problems with starting it. I'd open the eMac and check the power supply capacitors for problems. If you do open it, be careful around the CRT. It can contain a large amount of power that can harm or kill a human, even if left unplugged for a few weeks. If you do not feel comfortable with this, do not attempt to open it.

The power supply capacitors are along the one side of the eMac going horizontally, if the eMac is on its screen. The vertical capacitors, of which you see their tops, are the logicboard ones. Both or only one set may be bad. A bad capacitor has a non-flat top or has ooze around the base. Some of the capacitors have a solid white-ish or cloudy glue around the bottom. That is normal.

8. logics8 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thank you. I will consider looking into it. Are there any ways to discharge the CRT? If it does eventually die though I might just consider salvaging my HDD. I do have a slightly older iMac G4 that I keep for all the legacy apps :D

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is possible to discharge the CRT, but without knowing how you can still injure yourself. Do a search for how to safely discharge a CRT. It's pretty much the same procedure for all CRTs made within the past 50 years.

You can still open the eMac and visually inspect it for capacitor problems without having to remove anything. Just don't touch anything in the CRT half and you'll be fine. If the eMac does completely die and you do not want to repair it, the hard drive can be removed, but the process of removing the hard drive is a bit long for eMacs. You'd have to first remove the logicboard carrier or the computer half part of it.