eMac DVD issues?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macintoshman97, May 23, 2010.

1. macintoshman97 macrumors newbie

I am trying to upgrade my eMac G4 (1GHz Processor & 1 gig RAM) to OS X 10.5 Leopard. I have a DVD with the installation software on it. I put it in the DVD & CD reading drive and the eMac spits it out within 30 seconds? I am very confused and don't know if this has happened to anyone before? Advise?:confused:

2. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

try cleaning the disk, also do you have another mac to try the disk on

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

if cleaning both the disc and the drive doesn't bring a result ,does the combo drive read's other dvd's ok?

4. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

also is it the original drive, cus my g4 won't boot from the drive i put in it

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

ah :eek: i forgot one thing if the drive was changed in the past at one point , the superdrive is set to slave to be able to boot , but the cdrw drive is set to master to boot , so maybe the combo drive needs to be jumpered different in order to boot, just a thought

i found that on my eMac the superdrive was set to master and it did not boot at all , played everything else fine even did write everything , but was unable to boot ,but after jumpering to slave heureka it was booting , its only awkward to change jumpers on the emac as you need to take apart the whole eMac to get to the drive

here a link that might bring light in the tunnel
    especially the last bit
    http://www.wilko.com/emac/

6. macintoshman97 thread starter macrumors newbie

eMac

Thanks for responding,:)
    Ya I can play DVD movies I just can't seem to get the DVD with a program loaded on it to run. The disk is brand new it's a Sony DVD + R DL burnable disk (just bought today), I am very confused not even a plain disk with nothing on it will stay in, but CD's and DVD movies will!?!:confused:

7. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

are you trying to burn a dvd dl, because if you are trying to burn a dvd dl your drive probably won't support it

8. macintoshman97 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I am not trying to burn a DVD with my eMac, I am just trying to download a file FROM a DVD Burned by a MacBook Pro. The eMac just opens the drive and the disc won't stay in.

9. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

10. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i assume a illegal copy not downloaded proper or not burned proper ;)
    as he stated earlier he can play movie dvd's ,so there seems to be nothing wrong with the eMacs drive

11. macintoshman97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the help!
    I guess i'll have to just return the burnable disks.