Emac Evaluation

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ppcg4mac, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ppcg4mac macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

I am going to purchase 4 eMacs this afternoon, can someone please tell me a easy way to see what model these are (the person selling has no idea). Also, what should i bring, i already have techtool deluxe on a CD, a tool for the case screws and a screw driver set.

----------

oh, and i dont know if i will be able to plug them in (before buying them first)

2. pistooli macrumors regular

When you open the cd drive the small door opens down, and there are the specs on the tiny plate for the eMac. But in order to open it you need to power it up, and push the top right key on the Apple keyboard to open the cd drive door.

If the eMac has any OS then on the screen, on the top left corner there is an Apple sign as the first menu point About This Mac will show you something similar to the attached picture (provided it has OSX). Clicking on the More Info will give you all info about the HW - like cpu, ram, hd, etc...

Beware, eMac 700,800 MHz have only usb1, slower memory and it is not a recommended buy imho. eMac 1, 1,25 or 1,42MHz versions are much snappier machines, and could be upgraded to 2 MB memory as well.

Attached Files:

3. ppcg4mac thread starter macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

Thanks, but i was looking for something such as a location for a copyright, as i wont be able to turn on the eMacs (they are in a storge unit), but 10 dollars each is good for ANY computer.

4. pistooli macrumors regular

5. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Just to add to that point, only the 1ghz education models have USB 2.0 & upgrade ability to 2gb (along with the 1.25 & 1.42). The standard 1ghz eMacs have USB 1.1 & can only run 1gb PC133.

6. stroked Suspended

stroked

You really don't need to power them up to open the door to cd drive. It is just spring loaded, and a thin knife blade will open it to see the specs. If you have bad eyes like I do, bring some reading glasses.

7. ppcg4mac thread starter macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

Thank you, i was worried that it wouldn't open (my G4s original DVD drive wouldn't open with a paperclip once)

Im 15, so I don't think that the glasses are needed:D

8. cocacolakid, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Bring a standard PC power cord. It fits in eMacs and you can turn them on.

Also a USB keyboard and Mouse wouldn't be a bad idea if the seller isn't including them. Then you can open the About This Mac and open the CD door.

The first 700mhz eMac had a silver bottom plate, while I know the 1.42ghz model had a white plate. The 1.25ghz also had white bottom plates. Not sure about the models in between those. Examples of pics: 700mzh silver bottom, 1.25 white bottom

Check everymac.com's eMac page to check model numbers and specs.

M9834LL (1.42ghz) and M9425LL (1.25ghz) are the two top of the line models with usb 2.0 and upgraded graphics card and much faster ram (PC2700 compared to PC133 of all of the earlier eMac's). They can also run 2gb max of ram compared to a maximum of 1gb in all of the other models.

I would avoid the 700mhz (M8655LL) and 800mhz (M8892LL+M9150LL) models. They're slower, have slower ram, usb 1.1, etc.

As someone else said, there are two versions of the 1ghz model, as far as I know they both have the same model number, M8950LL, but one is the education version which has usb 2.0. The regular version has usb 1.1.

9. ppcg4mac thread starter macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

OK, im bringing

1 screwdriver set (airport check)
    1 power cord from my G4
    1 Mouse
    1 Keyboard
    1 CD with Techtool deluxe

All in a Subaru Forester!!!! (yes, my dad drives one)

Wish me luck, ill try to post before 3:00 mountain time (school ends, no web at home:( )

10. ppcg4mac thread starter macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

i found a complete dissassembly guide, hope i dont need it!!!!!!!!

Ill have a sore back tomorrow, but its worth it!

11. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

They are awesome cars! :D

Sorry. Off topic...

Good luck with the eMac! They are really great Macs, the speakers are the best in any Mac IMO.

I use mine as a media server & they really are sweet :p