Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I was on my wifes eMac tonight and I couldn't help but notice it seemed noisier than normal.

I've not noticed it like that before but it seemed to be pumping a lot of heat from the back, is this normal at all?

It could be sue to me using my near silent iMac as the emac is only lightly used by my wife so I hardly hear it.

If they're normally noisy I will stop worrying!

Thanks.

hughvane

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
Emacs produce a lot of heat all on their own, and if the room temperature is warm, then your eMac will certainly become a blowhard. Check the air intake for dust too, at the base, right near the front of the machine.

onegirlcreative

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
Colorado
Same thing is happening with my daughter's eMac. I got rid of some of the dust that was collecting near the back, but not completely, and that made a world of difference.

Also, I don't know if you reboot your eMac every night, but now I tell my daughter to reboot every night—she was leaving it on all night and all day. I think a reboot is key with such an old computer. I would hear it struggling to get some sort of fan going, and now it doesn't do it like that. Just a little noisy, but nowhere near what it was before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.