eMac files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by albert51, Jan 15, 2011.

1. albert51 macrumors newbie

I have an eMac PPC G4 10.3.9 which probably has a failing drive: it boots into Darwin console most of the time, and the rest of the time into gibberish (hangs).

When connected to my iMac via firewire, it doesn't show up on the desktop, but I managed to run my iMac disk utility to verify its volume (although the volume is not highlighted) and got the message: Invalid extent entry. Keys out of order.

It's a pain to run the install disk utility from the eMac CD tray because I have to keep rebooting until the console and not a hang occurs, then use command line to open the tray etc. I managed to run the disk utility (I note that the mouse is not functional) from the CD but it couldn't fix the issue.

From the console I can see the files I want copied (to whatever external drive I can mount - this is another issue!) but have tried and tried to copy them to a USB to no avail.

Is there any way to copy the files over to a drive? I will have an empty drive shortly. What format should it be to mount properly? Note that I don't really care about fixing the eMac, only getting the files.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. simsaladimbamba

What about getting the HDD out of the eMac?
    I suppose, you already tried Target Disk Mode?

And the proper format/file system for the new HDD should be HFS+/Mac OS Extended (Journaled or Not Journaled is up to you) if you want to use the HDD with Macs exclusively. Or you could use FAT32, which can be read and written to in Mac OS X and Windows, but the maximum file size is 4GB.

3. albert51 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I remove the HDD from the eMac, can you give me some idea how I can then get the files, in a cost effective manner, to my iMac or onto another drive?

Target Disk Mode doesn't seem to want to mount the eMac. The eMac shows up as greyed in the iMac Disk Utility menu.