eMac g4 help - Word Processing

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by fleshman03, Jul 26, 2008.

1. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Ok well my parents have a really old eMac G4 that I am going to have to fix tomorrow. They don't have a word processing program so that is the main question I have. Are there any decent free word processing programs out there? The machine runs 10.3 and here are its specs:

Order no. M8577LL/A
    Processor 700MHz PowerPC G4
    Memory 384MB
    Hard drive 40GB Ultra ATA
    Optical drive CD-RW
    Graphics support NVIDIA GeForce2 MX with 32MB of DDR SDRAM
    FireWire Two ports
    USB Five ports
    VGA video mirroring Yes
    Modem 56K
    Ethernet 10/100BASE-T

It used to have AppleWorks on it, but since I've reinstalled 10.3, it's no longer there. (I did a clean install.) Is there an option for it?

NeoOffice has a 512mb Ram requirement that isn't going to be met by this machine.

Also, the internet runs rather slow on it. I have no idea why. They have a 1.5 megabit connection. Any thoughts?

Would it be better to run it under 10.2?

2. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

3. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

AppleWorks is not installed by default when you do a restore from the original disks. This is most likely due to the fact that AppleWorks is not a multi-lingual application & the installer doesn't "know" which language version you want. Apple has written two articles, Knowledge Base article 300316 on installing AppleWorks 6 & Knowledge Base article 61802 on restoring the software than came with your Mac.