eMac - Hard Drive(?) issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jzajenius, Dec 6, 2007.

1. jzajenius macrumors newbie

I have a 700mhz eMac (gforce graphics card) that isn't working well. It seems to pause on almost every function (opening apps/web-browsing/file transfers etc...). It pauses for a few seconds of extra loading time, clicks once and runs the requested function.

I am wondering because of the click sound if it may actually be the hard-drive causing the pausing issues (as processor/loading noise on macs is generally silent). I have done all of the disk utility fixes etc. with no positive results; disk utility can not find any problems with the HD.

Another problem is that it is very finicky with booting from the optical drive, so I am somewhat worried about replacing the HD with a new one and having to re-install. I could care less for the data that I have on the current HD, so I am open to any option.

2. ADent macrumors 6502a

On the later eMacs (800MHz) changing the hard drive is a royal pain.

I would use an external firewire hard drive if possible.

The opticals are pretty easy to change on the later though.

3. jzajenius thread starter macrumors newbie

The operation was a sucsess! I replaced the hard drive with the help of http://www.wilko.com/emac/'s FAQ on eMac disassembly.

The install disc didn't work however as expected....so after messing around booting with a firewire drive (where i was able to find out that the DVD drive was recognizing the install DVD as a blank disk) I was able to install Tiger by target disk booting of my iMac G5. Thank goodness the eMac worked for booting Leopard from the iMac.

Next up....Find a Pioneer DVD burner and perform surgery on the beast again next weekend.

FYI, for a novice to rip apart & rebuild the eMac, it only took a little over an hour.