eMac has become painfully slow

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ANTIQUESILVER, Apr 11, 2008.

1. ANTIQUESILVER macrumors newbie

I have run Disk Utility and deleted many image files with no improvement in speed. The slow speed came on suddenly. No new programs or devices. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

I reckon it's just old age. It's just like what happens to PC's after about 18 months, and Mac's 4 to 5 years.

3. Highway61 macrumors regular

This also happened to me very recently (within the last couple of months).
    I used Disk Optimizer (Localizer?) (I forget) to get rid of unused foreign language files; MacJanitor to clean up logs, etc.; dumped any program that I didn't use frequently. Nothing helped.
    Slower and slower.
    And Firefox wasn't helping matters; it took nearly a minute--or more--for pages to load.
    Still, not wanting to lay out the cash for a new computer, I forged on.
    Then, the display started shaking on occasion and, then, shrinking and expanding like an accordion on others.
    Then, the monitor would just blip, flatline like an ER EKG and go dark. Slapping the eMac on its sides repeatedly would defibrillate it, but I expected that the time would soon be here when defibrillation would be futile.

I hate to say it, but I think you're at the first stages of the eMac slippery slope.
    Don't be disheartened, though. It will lead you to buying a new machine, and you will be amazed by how much things have improved since the eMac.

4. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

How old is your eMac? If I were you, I'd back up all my files and re-install OS X. After a couple of years, OS X tends to start to slow down due to age and starts bogging down with lots of useless files. I used to re-install OS X on my eMac once a year to help out with the performance. Also, what are the specs of your eMac? Does it have a sufficient amount of RAM and enough hard drive space for OS X to run on?

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Download and install http://www.santasw.com/ It's good to do some system maintenance every once in a while. Might help a bit.

If you feel your machine is running slow, do a hardware test and make sure hardware is up to spec. Maybe this slowdown is faulty RAM?

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Bad Drive

I had the same thing happen with my Powerbook. It turned out to be a faulty hard drive. When a drive is close to failure, it will start to slow down. Then one day you will hear it make a sound like it is metal on metal. I would suggest you backup your data and plan on either replacing the Mac, or using it until it fails.