eMac HDD install help!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Chaos Incarnate, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Chaos Incarnate macrumors newbie

Chaos Incarnate

So I got this 1st Gen eMac second hand. The HDD completely bit the dust and gave up the ghost. After asking around, I found that any IDE HDD would work in my eMac. So I got a 120GB Maxtor, and I installed it. When I powered on my computer, I put in the OS X 10.2 install disk, but when I got to the part where I select where to put the OS, nothing shows up.

I figured I was a jumper problem, which made me upset that such a tiny change was going to force me to completely open my eMac again. I had it set to Master. I did a bit of searching, and a few places seemed to suggest that Cable Select was the way to go. So I changed my jumper setting to CS and reinstalled it.

Same thing.

So, what am I doing wrong? The Maxtor is supposed to be refurbished and certified and zeroed out. Is there some sort of pre-formatting I need to do? If there is, can I do it on a PC? (that's the only other computer I have access to)

Anyhow, a little help from anyone more knowledgeable than me would be awesome!

2. ADent macrumors 6502a

You can do the formatting from Disk Utility.

With the OS boot disks there is a way to get into Disk Utility. You can then check the drive is formatted for HFS+ Journeled (Not Case Sensitive if you have the option).

Mac OS X 10.2: Disks (Volumes) Do Not Appear in the Installer: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20840

3. Chaos Incarnate thread starter macrumors newbie

Chaos Incarnate

Okay, I've got the Disk Utility open, and the hard drive shows in the lefthand part of the window, but didn't show in the First Aid utility. I'm trying to install a partition to it (a primary one, consisting of the entire volume of the disk), but it seems to have frozen on the 'unmounting old volumes step.' Maybe because there are no old volumes to unmount? Anyhow, I'm gonna reboot and try it again.

4. Chaos Incarnate thread starter macrumors newbie

Chaos Incarnate

Success! I erased the HDD, and then it showed up in the Installer. Installing OS X as I type!