eMac Locks up coming out of sleep

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Feb 10, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

My eMac locks up once it comes out of sleep. It will wake up but is unresponsive after a minute or two it will just beachball and i have to turn it off and back on. I fixed it by disabling sleep mode and disabled it from spinning down the hard drive but i don't like it doing this as it tends to go slow and needing a restart every few days. What does this mean?

2. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

I would check the Hard drive. it sounds like Once you put your Emac to sleep and try to wake it the drive isnt spinning up properly. My Emac Recently had a hard drive failure. It was playing some tunes from grooveshark and then it stopped spinning and gave me a pinwheel. After that the question mark folder. Run disk utility. and possibly reseat the RAM. Id start with that.

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Just put a 80GB HDD in it. the HDD came out of a Tivo Series 2 DT

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would look into which peripherals are connected. I had a knockoff Mac keyboard that would crash a G5 with fans blasting if it tried to sleep.

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Targus USB 2.0 4 Port hub
    Lenovo NetVista keyboard
    Logitech M305 Mouse
    Rocketfish USB Bluetooth adaptor
    netis WF2120 Nano USB Wireless N

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try removing things one by one and putting it to sleep. I do not think the Rocketfish adapter would cause anything as mine is just fine with my Macs but the wireless adapter may. This is just a possibility though...