Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EMKAL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2004
Can anyone help? - This is my first post to this forum. Have checked the archives (maybe I missed it - but I am desperate to fix this issue).

I have the CDRW drive on my EMac. I have had this unit for almost 2 years with no problems.

Although I hate to admidt it I use it in Classic Mode rather than System X but that is here nor there as the problem is the same whether I run in Classic, OSX or run Classic from OSX

It started with - itunes all of a sudden not reading some of my music CD's with the error coming up "This computer can not read this disc - -Eject or Initialize.

Just before this was happening I had run a CD burning session to org my "millions" of photos about 15 Photo CD's. All the CD's were checked and readable once burned before I started to unload some of the baggage on the system.

Now a few months later the CD drive seems to select only a few CD's to read - and many are now coming up Can not read - Eject or Initialize.

I thought after 2 years re-installing the system 9 might be a good idea - but guess what - the CD Drive will not read any of my system discs either.

I am a publisher of two Wedding Planners and I am right in the middle of production - yikes!!!! I really need some help :confused:

Look forward to hearing from anyone who may have the same problem or a soft fix that I could do myself - no techy but pretty smart

Thanks
SK

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Non-techy type solution....Have you tried one of those head cleaning CDs you can buy with the little brush on - might just be a case of dust on the lens or something. eMacs are tray-loading, right? Never actually tried a headcleaner in one but I don't expect it can do any harm....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.