Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emac or mac mini

• emac

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • mac mini

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
My bro is getting one of them but which do you think we should get.

Emac:17-inch flat CRT display
1.42 GHz PowerPC G4
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo drive
ATI Radeon 9600
64MB video memory
56k internal modem
Supplied with OS X 10.4 "Tiger"

mac mini:
1.25ghz
radeon 9200 32 mb vram
40gb HD
combo drive
512mb ram

i think emac.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I'd take a eMac over a G4 Mac mini any day of the week. Sure it isn't as sleek and small, but the eMac is a faster machine and has the added bonus of a built in (and gorgeous I might add) CRT screen. I've had mine since October 2004, and it has been a great workhorse! Just purchased iLife '06 the other day and it still manages to run that without any trouble at all (ok just a little bit but not so bad that you want to throw it out the window). Plus your bro is getting a 1.42GHz which his probably much faster and mine and has the added bonus of a Core Image compatable graphics card (which the G4 Mac mini and my eMac does not have :() So yes the eMac is a much better deal in this situation. The only problem I can see with the eMac is if your brother wanted to get a different type of screen, in which he would be stuck with the CRT monitor and couln't upgrade like he could with a Mac mini.

P.S I agree with mad jew on the RAM thing. Panther with 256MB was decent, but 256 on Tiger is like trying to put Windows XP on a PC with 64MB of RAM :eek: . I personally would upgrade to at least 768MB (which is what I have on my eMac). But even then, I still feel like I need more RAM. 1GB would probably be the sweet spot. However if your bro can't afford that 768MB is still decent! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.