eMac OS X install disk help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Geoff160, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Geoff160 macrumors newbie

:apple:Hi, I got a copy of OS X 10.4 for eMac. I dont have an eMac but I do have a Power Mac G4. When I try to install it, it doesnt work. Is there anyway to install it on my mac? I paid $50 for it so I would like to have it work. Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot use it. OSX system restore discs are locked to only install on the hardware they come with. In addition the discs are only licensed for the system they shipped with.

Sorry to say but you should have done your research before buying.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you have a *grey* disc with lots of little print on the label side (system restore CD or DVD), as above, your out of luck. You massively overpaid for it -- it's worth about $5-10 -- and it won't do what you want.

If you have a black disc with a big stylized X on the logo side (retail DVD), then it should be installable. If *that* is not working, then the issue is probably that your PowerMac is not on the supported list for Tiger (hmmm, if that's possible? Are there PMG4s old enough to not be supported?).

In the latter case, you may be able to use software like XPostFacto to install it.

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/