eMac power Adapter Died

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by itboom, May 23, 2012.

1. itboom macrumors newbie

i was thinking of getting an external power adapter like a laptops, and build a connection, does anyone know if it is possible (sorry for bad grammar, english is not my first language)

my eMac is from 2001, and has served me well, and even though i have a new Mac mini (2010), i still like using all the old programs that i grew up with (I'm a sentimental guy, what can i say).

So, any ideas on how to fix?

2. MaxHeap macrumors member

MaxHeap

Are you talking about a headless eMac? I made one using this article and an old PSU. Worked good, although I'd like to fix the original analog board one day. If anyone has experience repairing those before, let me know.

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eServer/

3. itboom thread starter macrumors newbie

No, just a way to connect an external power supply (like a laptops for example) because the one that the computer came with, died.

i do not think that a laptop one would be enough, seeing as its an old computer with a CRT screen, so it would use a fair amount of power.

but still, if anyone got any ideas? power supply for windows Desktops?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

MaxHeap's linked artical details how to use an ATX power supply in an eMac. You really can't use any kind of external power supply with an eMac.

5. itboom thread starter macrumors newbie

the screen is fine

as far as i know, i just need a way to change the power supply.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is it the power cable that died? eMacs take standard computer power cables.

7. itboom thread starter macrumors newbie

no, the adapter burned, it was a hot day (46C) and it simply smoked out,
    sent it to be fixed, they changed a few things, and two days later it did it again. (it was over a year ago, just didn't have time to get around to do anything) i can honestly say that it was my favorite computer of all times.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

eMac's don't have a power adapter. They have a cord and an internal power supply. Nothing else.