eMac Question?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by winterdude010, Jan 10, 2009.

1. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

Hi,

I am looking into purchasing a refurb emac and I am stuck between whether to get the 1.0Ghz model or 1.42Ghz. Does the .42Ghz really make that much of a difference? The price is $100 more than the 1.0Ghz so I'm just wondering if it's really worth paying an extra $100. Both models have 512MB of RAM.

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How much is the cheapest one?! Anyone charging $100 more for anything PowerPC upgrade-wise is scamming you.

3. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

difference is more than the processor. the emac 1.0 is usb 1, not usb 2. The 1.42 emac is usb 2 (though not the keyboard plugs). so, if you use a usb ipod or wish to plug anything usb 2 into the computer, the speed difference is tremendous. also, you will notice a difference in processor and graphics on the higher machine.

look on craigslist!!

4. winterdude010 thread starter macrumors regular

winterdude010

Oh I didn't notice the 1.42GHz model also has a much larger hard drive (160GB vs 60GB). So that probably makes up for the difference.

The 1.0Ghz is $199 and the 1.42GHz is $299.

But I wasn't aware of the USB difference, I'll probably opt for the 1.42GHz model then.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

$300 is a crazy amount to pay for an eMac, still, though. I'm not saying it isn't going market rate (it might be), but just in comparison to anything else that $300 could buy... If you had a display, etc, I would really suggest looking for a used Mac Mini instead (if you really want a Mac) or one of numerous Windows-based options, rather than getting a very out-of-date eMac....

6. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

at least with the intel mini, you're in the ballpark for future usability and you have display options. That emac is seriously dated. My daughter has one in her room and hates it. The display is getting progressively dimmer, and it has been babied. It can be yours, for $250 (but you'd be getting screwed).

7. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I would check everymac.com

They detail the specs of each Apple computer. The eMacs, at least the last they made [i think] was the 1.42 GHz model. I think it did have USB 2, and also a faster bus speed. We used to have one of these in our office at work, used it as a print server. It performed very well for our needs.

8. hodgeheg macrumors regular

The going rate is a lot less

I personally wouldn't touch a pre-Intel Mac if you need to do anything all that serious and want it to last, but if you have basic needs it could be useful, but not at that price. That 1.42Ghz model can be had buy-it-now on ebay for $159 right now. 1.25Ghz models (also USB2) are at $99 and 1GHz $75. so $300 is a lot, unless it's coming with some amazing warranty and software.