eMac question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iaddict, Feb 6, 2009.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

I have an old eMac running OS 10.3.9. Is there a newer version of OS that I can upgrade to without costing me a bundle and it still work without having to do much else with regards to the hardware that originally came with this computer. The reason I am thinking about upgrading the OS is I purchased a Magic Jack and it does not work with my version of OS. I've done searches online to try and find a fix so that I don't have to upgrade, but all I can find is that it will work with 10.4 +.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You can upgrade it to Tiger (10.4), even the first gen eMac would be able to run it. Most programs will still run on Tiger, because programs usually have compatibility for the current Mac OS and one OS previous. :)

3. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

purchasing Tiger 10.4

Is there a place where I can pick up a copy for less than $100? I seem to only find it for like $129 or so.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You can try ebay, that is as cheap as I could find with a quick search and they have good feedback.

5. jwimes macrumors newbie

emac ram & OS upgrade

Have an eMac PP G4 1.25GHz with 512 ram. Apple says should only add 512 more ram in empty slot but based on research looks like I can go to 2 GB ram (1 in each slot). If I go to 2 GB ram I'm trying to decide whether to go to Tiger or Leopard. Current OS is 10.3.9 and it seems like it is slowly becoming extinct.
    I'm a newbie and appreciate the help.:)

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

7. Floris1994 Guest