emac questions.. i know its old but i heard it was good.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kenmasters, Nov 28, 2007.

1. kenmasters macrumors newbie

i have some questions regarding the Emac..

1.if i get the raster problem that its known for.. will the image display fine on an lcd with the mini vga cable?

2.is an emac with these specs worth $100 shipped..700mhz""512mb""40gig""keyboard""mouse""cd-rw""geforce2mx..

3.how much stronger in old games is the emac compared to an powermac g4 400mhz with a ati rage pro?? with 512mb of ram..

4.i think thats everything

thanks.

2. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

The eMac is a solid little machine, but don't expect anything fancy. The gaming will not be so hot, I think it only has 64 MB of video memory. A 512 MB card is waaaaayyy better.

If you want it for surfing the web, writing, email, etc it'll be great. And regarding the price, that sounds like a pretty good deal.

Unfortunately I've never used the mini VGA out, so I can't speak to that, but I've never had any problems with the display.

The only problem with the machine is that the thing weighs 50 lbs. izza the heavy.

good luck.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Games.... fuhggedabout any games released recently.

If you do have the raster shift problem (which I have never seen in any of my customer's machines BTW), the repair instructions are here
    (get a technician to do this, there are lethal voltages inside if youdon't know what you are doing.)

The main problems with the eMac video dying however is heat-induced failure of the video/analog board internally, if that goes you will NOT be able to get video to the outside.