eMac score

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Daniël Oosterhuis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

As I said I'd do, I picked up the eMac this afternoon. As I expected, it's the 1.42GHz Radeon 9600 model. The guy couldn't tell me what specs it had (I specifically asked him to open up the DVD latch and take a pic of the sticker, instead he send me pics of the bottom), but due to the copyright date being 2005 on the bottom, I pretty much guessed it was going to be. When I came to pick it up, I showed him what I meant, and showed that that is indeed the model I was looking for. Handed him the €10 bill, and went off again. Also came with original keyboard and mouse, which is nice. I didn't get to test it there, but at home, it works just fine. Apparently, this is the highest end model ever made, the original 512MB RAM was still installed next to a 1GB upgrade, and it has a Sony SuperDrive. It currently has 10.4.11 on it, but I think I'll try Leopard on it. Like the iMac G5 and both my G4 towers, it could use a good polishing job, which is something I intend to do on all of them sometime. But, for as of now, this is another great entry to my PowerPC collection.

Yes, the photo is terrible, but it was a quick shot I made when checking the machine out. img_20160313_194115.jpg

2. lightfoot221 macrumors newbie

lightfoot221

All you need is the tilt and swivel stand and that's the perfect eMac.

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

It's a great Mac...in a moment of madness (and Zen reductionism) I tipped mine in a skip when moving house :(

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You run into both sides here - I hate the tilt and swivel stand, as a repair tech.
    I repaired hundreds of eMacs in the day. You can't do ANYTHING until you remove the stand. Then, all you need is one of the mount screws stripped on one of those infernal stands, and you get to endure a slow day... There's almost no clearance to get at those mount screws with the normal "stripped screw" tools.

5. r6mile macrumors 6502

I don't know why but I feel a particular affection for the eMac. I've never had one for very long and couldn't justify (nor had the space to) keeping them, but they were cool machines.

6. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

I too have the last generation 1.42Ghz Model.. Little loud for my taste but a nice machine. Congratz man

7. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

nice find...too bad mine freezes while booting. have fun