emac screen burn out??

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dabsterize, Apr 22, 2007.

1. dabsterize macrumors newbie

My emac screen was working fine. then suddenly the screen image seemed to wiggle as if there was a power problem. I was able to shut off the emac properly using the shut down drop down menu before things could get worse.
    But when I restart, the computer seems to turn on fine but the screen remains dark. Is there any hope??

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, you have blown the analog board on the machine -- not an uncommon feat in all-in-one machines.

Check with an Apple service centre for the cost of replacement. Last time I looked, the only boards you could get on eBay came with the CRT as well - not optimum.

EDIT: If you don;t know what you are doing, do NOT monkey around inside the machine. There is enough voltage in the CRT circuitry to kill you -- even when the machine is unplugged.

3. JAT macrumors 603

And even after the machine has been unplugged for hours.

4. dabsterize thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe alittle hope?

Well I unplugged the computer from the power source and left it for about 20 minutes. Now when I restart; the screen comes on but it is off center by an inch or so, and appears to be wavy or jiggily for lack of a better term. It is also condensed. A dialog box appears saying that the date/time is incorrect and can cause problems with applications. Any chance it could be the battery? Or do you think its stil the analog board?
    thanks

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

CRT is going out ...

After Apple switched to the blue/grey plastics (and after) the life of the CRTs from Apple took a big dive.

It is unfortunate that the CRT repair isn't as easy as the blown bulbs that plague the LCD displays.