eMac shuts down when moved back..

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JitteryJeff98, Dec 9, 2011.

1. JitteryJeff98 macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new here, and I have a problem. I just picked up a 1.42 Ghz eMac, and it works great, except for one thing. Whenever I push on the top of the front of the computer and tilt it back, it shuts off. It started about a week ago, when I put it to sleep one night, and in the morning found it shut off. Since then, it's fine, and doesn't shut off on it's own, unless I tilt it back. I checked the plate underneath, where the RAM slots are and everything, and I noticed the plate is only secured with one screw, where there should be three. Because of this, the plate is sort of loose, and shifts around when moved. This seems like the culprit to me, so would this have anything to do with it? If not, what could it most likely be?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. datamonger128 macrumors regular

datamonger128

While the plate covering the RAM slots being loose could be a possible culprit for your system's random shutdowns, it could also be the power cable. Try using a different power cable and see if you can reproduce the problem. If the problem does not persist, then you've fixed it. If it continues to shut down at random, try using something such as duct tape to keep the plate in place. Another thing that could be causing this is bad capacitors. However, since the computer only shuts down when moved, this is unlikely.

3. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Yep The plate that covers the RAM is not going to do much except keep dirt out. Id think its the plug too.

4. JitteryJeff98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, it's good to know that it's probably not the capacitors. I don't have another power cord, but are bad power cords a common problem of shut downs like this? I'm pretty sure it's a new power cord, but it's a generic black one, and not an original.

5. Goftrey, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Hey, as you can see from my sig. I too have an eMac and I've had to replace the power cable on it as when I moved it even slightly, it'd turn off. I'm guessing when you say 'tilt back' you have the tilt and swivel stand for it, right? The RAM slots being covered by one screw wouldn't make any difference, so just replace the cable and you'll be home and dry :)

----------

I think my power cable just had a loose connection somewhere as it would make a static noise, so it's probably just one of the pins on the cable that have gone bust.

6. JitteryJeff98, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

JitteryJeff98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, that sucks! Thanks for the info, though, and no I don't have the swivel. Is it hard to access and replace the power supply? I've only found like one used one on eBay, so maybe I'll just hang out with this one but just not move it.