eMac Sits At Loading Screen.....

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Feb 26, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

as suggested by another user i deleted some Plist files to see if it would solve my eMac's "Lockup on Wake" issue. Now, the system doesn't boot. It sits at the Apple logo with the spinner and goes no further although it does boot to Safe Mode. However, It just loads a blue screen and sits there.

2. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

booting in Verbose i get the following:

com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd [(Various 3 digit numbers here): getpwnam("_mdnsresponder") failed

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I suggest the standard troubleshooting...

Boot in single user mode and run fsck

Boot in target disk mode and use another computer running the same version of OS X and repair permissions

Boot from a Disk Warrior DVD and repair permissions.

If none of the above work, archive and install.

4. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

how do i boot into SU mode?

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

command+s

Once booted, the full command is /sbin/fsck -fy . It will take a few minutes to run. If, at the end, it reports "FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED" you need to run it again and keep doing so until you no longer get this message.

6. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

seems it has gotten worse. I cannot get that far. Command (or in my case the Windows Key) and S just shows a gray screen if i let go the screen says there than eventually gets to the flashing Finder and ? Icon. I held down Alt to go into the boot menu and the system no longer sees my HDD

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

OS reinstall with an install disk or over Target Disk Mode. Unless your hard drive has failed.

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Boot manager will only "see" the hard drive if it recognizes a valid system folder on the disk.

Either boot off an installer disk or boot in TDM and see if you can see the disk-if you can't you either have a bad drive, a bad cable, or some other component somewhere along the way.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I would likely first try reinstalling your 10.5.8 combined update.
    Get it here if you don't already have it.

You said your eMac boots in Safe boot mode, but then you said you only get a blue screen, which would not be a successful boot, either... So, you are not getting a boot at all. Is that what you mean?

If that is true, the combined updater won't be helpful. Do the optional Archive and Install from your Leopard installer.
    You will downgrade to 10.5.6 or older, depending on which version installer you have. After that completes, you will have several updates from Software Update. You can speed that process somewhat by running that combined 10.5.8 updater as a first step in the update process, then let Software Update handle the rest.

10. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Booting the Leopard Disc now will reply soon with an update......

----------

takes a good 5 minutes for the boot menu to even see the Leopard disc and another 5 minutes to boot it

----------

UPDATE: Just as suspected.... the system does not see the HDD in the Disc Utility only the SuperDrive shows up

11. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

12. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Based on the symptoms you described I definitely suspected a failing hard drive as well.

13. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

serves me right for using a TiVo hard drive i suppose......

----------

Since I'll be going in to replace the hard drive (again) what would offer the best results.... a 80GB 5400RPM HDD or a 40GB 7200RPM HDD?

14. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'd say neither...get an 80gb 7200RPM drive.

The last time I was at Microcenter(physical store, not the website) they had a shelf full of refurbs for $9 each.

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Never get a 5400 RPM HDD in 2015 ;)

16. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

The only 80GB 7200PRM HDD i had was this TiVo HDD which is either dead or something else is going on

17. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I wouldnt buy a HDD i have plenty on hand the only problem is they are either 5400RPM and 80GB or 7200RPM and 40GB. I have the original eMac apple HDD (a 5200RPM) Seagate around here somewhere too

18. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

80GB 5400rpm.

----------

Why not? ¬_¬
    I have a ~5400rpm 2TB hard drive which reaches speeds up to 100Mbyte/s. The 500GB 7200rpm in my MBP only reaches speeds as fast as 60Mbyte/s.

19. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

UPDATE: eMac back up and running (typing this on it now) It was indeed a shot HDD. However the HDD still spins up so go figure. Anyway since i took a 80GB 5400PRM HDD out of this to put in the faster 7200RPM I didn't wipe the HDD so all i had to do was tweak it and transfer/install programs from the PowerMac and popped it in. :)