eMac startup problems?!?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 76ShovelHead, Mar 6, 2011.

1. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

So i went on my weekly binge cleaning of my room, where it happened. I was pulling apart all my computers cleaning underneath the desk etc. and i bumped the power strip's switch off and on instantaneously while my eMac was on. Upon rebooting i am greeted with a multi language "Please power off this machine yada yada yada" error message, and i wasn't even in the OS, it was still on the Apple screen. So i researched and apparently i could've fried my ram. This can't be. So CTRL OPTION O F and ran the commands reset-nvram, set-default, and reset-all. Now i get by without the transparent "Turn off your computer" screen. But i set it up so that a partition on my hard drive like on the newer PC's is the Mac os Install disk. So it loads the install and I'm like WTF? and i proceed to tools startup disk and set my Macintosh HD and restart. Now i'm just hanging on the grey apple screen and the spiral loader. What happened? thanks for your help.

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Probably some files on your system partition got damaged while "force off". Or physical damage on this partition occured. Start with "alt" and boot from Installer partition. In Disk Utility perform "Veryfy and Repair Disk" (not permissions). If it will fail, boot from Install CD/DVD (to do the same) may be necessary.
    You can try fsck too -> there's info about it somewhere on MR (IIRC in Mac OS X subforum) if you don't know how to do it. Or just Google it. Good luck. :)