eMac to iMac applications transfer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RussW, Jun 15, 2010.

1. RussW macrumors newbie

I am trying to transfer my applications from my emac 10.2.8 os to my new iMac w/Snow Leopard OS. I have transferred the HD by way of Migration Assistant and firewire cable to the iMac. Whenever I try to open an application such as IPhoto from the HD icon I get "you cannot use this version of iphoto with the Imac version" or something to that effect. I have Iphoto 2.0.1. It is similar with other applications. Any help or suggestions step by step would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Russ

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Those iPhoto and other applications might not be supported anymore and may not be able to run.

You used an old Mac with an old OS. Why can't you use the new iPhoto version?

And what other applications are you talking about?

Maybe this can help you a bit:http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

3. shwc macrumors regular

Your two machines have completely different cpu architectures. Emac is power pc. Your new machine is intel x86. Most, if not all, of your old programs will not run on your new machine. Apple (and many third party) dropped support for ppc long ago and dropped emulation support (emulating ppc on intel) with snow leopard. Check out the chart that spinnerlys posted, however.

That said, modern (i.e., latest releases) versions of these very same programs will run.

What I am trying to say is do not transfer your programs, buy updated versions.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

You forgot Rosetta, which allows PPC code to run on Intel and is still included in Snow Leopard. The chart shows that.

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

If the OP needed Rosetta, he would have gotten prompted the first time - as far as applications like iPhoto - he should be using the versions that came with the new Mac and not the older ones - I have no idea what versions are supported on an emac, but they are going to be several versions older.

We are talking about an upgrade from 10.2 to 10.6 - there have been tons of changes and upgrades since then. My advice to the OP is to go through and upgrade all of your Apps starting with iLife (you can re-install it on Disc 2 of the recovery discs) to make sure your apps can run properly with the massive underlying changes that have happened.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think the applications that ship with osx, such as iPhoto, require code within the OS to function. This will usually prevent you from running older versions of iPhoto in current versions of the OS.

Rosetta is a separate issue I think; the OP's problem is probably you just can't run iPhoto 2.0 on SL. However, it's also possible that the current iPhoto can't read the old iPhoto database?

I still run an old version of Quicken on Leopard on Intel.

It would help if the OP would tell us what applications are causing problems.