emac-used up hard drive space?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nosidammai, May 30, 2010.

1. nosidammai macrumors newbie

I'm really dumb to computers so bear with me. I have an old emac. My hard drive says it's capacity is 57.26 GB. It says 52.14 GB is being used, leaving me with only 5.12 GB free. I don't have any music, and all the applications only tally up to like 1.7GB, so what is using up all the rest of my hard drive space??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. TheMythTheMan macrumors newbie

What kind of applications do you have that only take up 1.7 GB? The OS alone takes up more than that. You may want to double check. For example, I have about 100GBs used up for my programs and clean those up every few months.

If that doesnt solve it, check through your pictures, music, and movies folders. Maybe you actually do have some files in there taking up space.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

May also want to check if there are other user accounts on the computer. The pictures, movies, and music content could be at fault. Omnidisksweeper and Whatsize (both available from versiontracker.com) are utilities you can download and install, even with only 5 GB free, and they will show you a graphical overview of what is taking up the space on the drive. Note that you don't need both, one or the other will do the job.