eMac - What to expect?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by domini99, Jan 18, 2016.

1. domini99 macrumors member

domini99

I'm thinking about picking up an eMac. The guy doesn't know what's inside the machine.

What can I expect?
    I've been looking some YouTube videos and it seems to run pretty solid.

It even did the Leopard intro video significantly smoother than my PowerMac G5

I'd like to use it for some light web browsing and video playback (not
    necessarily HD)

Does anybody have one of these machines, and what can I expect from it?

Thanks in advance!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Paging @SkyBell …paging @SkyBell

Please pick up the white courtesy phone!

:D

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I had an 800Mhz model and the last 1.42Ghz model. They're a beautiful design and the CRT is excellent - at this stage though I'd ignore everything except the 1.42GHz model - with that you're good to go for web and video with the right software.

4. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

It will run just fine for most things ie. software from that era. Browsing the internet will be hindered by lack of support. Firefox dropped support here is what Mozilla has on there support site.

"Firefox 3.6.28 is the last version of Firefox that works with Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) on a computer with a PowerPC processor. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-no-longer-works-mac-os-10-4-or-powerpc"

That said you can still view the internet but certain sites like YouTube will not be usable. Depending on which OS is installed, try TenFourFox, http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/. I think you need at least 10.4.11 installed because I can't get a version that works with 10.4.6.

It doesn't boot into OS 9 which is a shame because the processor is quite good at least the one I have, 1.25GHz.

Look at it as a second or project computer, time marches on and the PowerPC units just aren't up to the demands of todays internet and software development stopped when the switch was made to Intel.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

They're good for 480p video (playback in a browser is not recommended, use TenFourFox Quicktime Enabler or YouView if possible). Basic web browsing is a bit slow but doable (using TFF optimizations or Leopard Webkit will help). The CRTs have vibrant colors compared to LCDs of the time, and sound quality also isn't bad.

As @Dronecatcher above mentioned, if you plan to run Leopard or browse the web a 1.42 GHz model is the one to go with. If you don't know the specs it could be as low as a 700 MHz.

6. domini99 thread starter macrumors member

domini99

I have a G5 at the moment, so finding software isn't a problem.

Seems like it'd be quite worth it as hobby PC.

Just to have one, that's cool already :)

I'll drive over to the guys home some time to see which kind of model he has, he doesn't know for sure and the thing has no operating system on the drive.

7. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Be prepared for it when you carry it - they're rather hefty!

That aside, they have beautiful CRTs and run great under Leopard. Enjoy it if you get it!

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Ah, I see my assistance is needed. :D

I've got the top of the line 1.42 GHz model maxed with 2 GB of RAM, and it works pretty darn well for most tasks; web browsing is very doable, and 480p video playback is as smooth as butter. The speakers are fantastic as well!

9. domini99 thread starter macrumors member

domini99

Ugh...

I'm not gonna get the machine, guy asks 120 euros for it, and it's the 700mhz model, he sells it without hard drive and RAM.

Why is it so hard to get hold of an older Mac over here, people sell them for ridiculous prices.
    What is it... Is it because it has an Apple logo?
    Not everything with an Apple logo is worth 5 zillion bucks dammit.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That seems like a terrible deal, that's about half the price I paid for a 1ghz model back in 2006 or so, and I would expect the value to have dropped by a lot more than that over 10 years.

11. domini99 thread starter macrumors member

domini99

Yeah, it's an absolute disaster.
    People are selling iMac G3's for an average of 50 to 70 euros, broken Powerbooks (as in, it looks like it got run over by a truck) for 110, and till now the most ridiculous of all: A single CPU PowerMac g5 without hard drive and ram, no keyboard/mouse/monitor..... for a whopping 400 FREAKING EUROS

Why are people over here such retards

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

We have the same problem here.

Unless you know what you are looking for (and most people do not because they are not enthusiasts like we are) you would never know that the Intel transition happened.

Lots of buyers mistakenly think they are getting a newer model Mac at cutrate prices. Lots of sellers think they can rip people off because they know the buyers have no clue.

But the worst are the sellers who have no clue because they put a current value on an old Mac. Those are usually the ones advertising Power MacBook Pros or G5 MacPro towers.

13. domini99 thread starter macrumors member

domini99

Yeah and it's annoying.

Often it happens that someone puts something on for an acceptable price, but then suddenly someone bids ridiculously high...

Let's just start with my recent findings:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's just.... why?

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That first listing proves my point.

The headline says it's a G3, but the photo is that of a G5. The model listing says Mac Pro and the processor says it's 3-4Ghz!!! The fastest G5 maxed at 2.7Ghz! Hell, the Mac Pro I am typing this on is only 2.8Ghz and it's a 2012 model!

So, that seller is completely confused as they are mixing things from three different types of Mac.

As to the ridiculously high bids…well it's not unknown for a seller to bump the bid price by using a different account. If someone outbids the second account then the seller wins. If no one outbids the second account the seller hasn't lost anything.

15. domini99, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016

domini99 thread starter macrumors member

domini99

It's a shame... I'm now trying some iMac G4 700mhz that is really nearby.
    What should I ask for it?

I was thinking around 10 euros?

I just don't know anymore.

EDIT;
    Just as I was browsing around, I found another iMac G3 for over a 100 euros.
    This is ****** ridiculous.

I really miss my PowerMac G5, but I'm probably never gonna find a replacement for it (for people that ask, yes, my good G5 died on my as well).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 21, 2016 ---
    AH well, screw this.
    I don't want that iMac, it's way too slow.

16. CooperBox, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016

CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I agree with you. Many people crazily overprice their PPC machines.
    If you can get that G4 iMac for 10€ you will have done exceedingly well - at 700MHz it's more than likely a 2002 15" model. But I bet he'll expect 40-50€ minimum, especially if it's loaded with software.
    Even here (France) G4 iMac's are regularly seen at prices from 60 to 210 plus for 15 & 17" models. I would certainly pay 150 and more (and have done) for a 20" with maxed-out memory.
    Having said that, last month I saw an ad for a 15" G4 iMac fully operational with Harman Kardon twin speakers, and full CD set. Asking price 20€!! This was exceptional, but I thought if neccessary would be a handy back-up for spares, as even finding an original fan can be difficult. I made the 30mins drive, paid cash, and we were both happy with the deal.

And yes 100€ is also crazy for a G3 iMac. I have several, all superb condition, and never paid more than 30€ (with the exception of the 'FlowerPower' which was a steal at 32€.

17. domini99 thread starter macrumors member

domini99

I think I'm not going to buy myself a new ppc machine. It's a shame though, I guess I'll save the money for upgrades for my main PC.

I have a hackintosh compatible Dell machine, that only needs a new graphics card to be turned into a fully functional OS X machine, which shouldn't be a problem because I'm buying a new graphics card for my main PC anyways, and the HD6570 that is in it right now is fully supported by OS X.

Although that kind of makes up the missing of Mac OS X, it's just not the same.
    I don't know, the only thing I know is that I'm sad because both my PowerMac G5 machines died.

I already sold one, the other has a dead PSU, and it's more expensive to get a new PSU than to get a new G5.

18. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

I
    I'm too from the Netherlands and recognize this issue. I got lucky to buy a G4 DA for €20 INCLUDING hard drive and ram. They use to sell for €75-100 and as you know, G4 power macs are from 2001-2003.

I got it at tweedehandsmac.nl, which you may also try. (MOD NOTE: Not my site and not my auctions).

19. domini99 thread starter macrumors member

domini99

I'm still keeping my eyes peeled at marktplaats, and I've subscribed to the "Apple Desktops" page, so I can get a list of added ads every end of the day around 6 o' clock.

I'll try that tweedehandsmac website, I still want to have one of those machines. It's just.. They are beautiful and a hackintosh just is not the same.

It's like buying a chinese replica of a supercar that you always wanted to have for a lower price, it's just not it.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

K

Let's just keep hoping someone ever comes up with a proper price for a machine like this.