eMac without screen ?

Skrot Nisse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
4
0
Is it possible to pull out the insides of an eMac,
wire up the video out to a monitor and use it
as a stand-alone Mac ? Or does it have to be
connected to the actual tube ?

I recall the early iMacs being able to do this, but
that the DV iMacs couldn't...

Anyone done this, any links ?


Nisse
 

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
236
1
Skrot Nisse said:
Is it possible to pull out the insides of an eMac,
wire up the video out to a monitor and use it
as a stand-alone Mac ? Or does it have to be
connected to the actual tube ?

I recall the early iMacs being able to do this, but
that the DV iMacs couldn't...

Anyone done this, any links ?


Nisse
As long as you keep the power supply then there shouldn't be too much of a drama. The eMac has VGA (mini?) output that can drive an external display. Having trouble with the tube on your emac?
 

Skrot Nisse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
4
0
baxterbrittle said:
As long as you keep the power supply then there shouldn't be too much of a drama.
Is this verified ? Can one disconnect the tube without gutting the eMac ? I.e. testing before scrapping!

baxterbrittle said:
Having trouble with the tube on your emac?
I've bought an eMac (on it's way) which apparently has a fuzzy screen (at times). I don't know how fuzzy...


Nisse
 

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
6,247
0
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Yer, it will deffo be monitor problems then, I have a 21" CRT at work (Connected to a PC *SPIT*) that sometimes does that, a restart normally fixes tho. I would see how bad it is before deciding to gut your eMac, as that could be a fun job.
 

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
236
1
Skrot Nisse said:
Is this verified ? Can one disconnect the tube without gutting the eMac ? I.e. testing before scrapping!



I've bought an eMac (on it's way) which apparently has a fuzzy screen (at times). I don't know how fuzzy...


Nisse
There is the possibility that you can simply adjust the sharpness on the tube by opening it up and tweaking the flyback transformer. You'll need a take apart guide regardless but it should have the adjustments in there. You could also tuck the eMac away somewhere and just plug a seperate monitor to it without gutting it. From memory the video connection mates with the tube section not through a cable but a connector, it's quite difficult to simply disconnect the tube without pulling it apart but it can be done. Still I say chuck it in a cupboard and run another display - or see if you can correct the internal display.
 

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
645
8
ohio
tobyg:
It just takes a quick google...
http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eServer/
Thanks, my son's eMac is fine but that crt will not last forever.

Skrot Nisse
Google is not a verb...
According the Apple Dictionary application it is.
"google |ˈgoōgəl| (also Google) verb informal [ intrans. ] use an Internet search engine, particularly Google.com : she spent the afternoon googling aimlessly. • [ trans. ] search for the name of (someone) on the Internet to find out information about them : you meet someone, swap numbers, fix a date, then Google them through 1,346,966,000 Web pages. ORIGIN from Google, the proprietary name of a popular Internet search engine."
 

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
523
1
Mods, please lock this thread so it actually becomes useful in the archive instead of having people read a fight about the proper use of the term 'google'.
 

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
7,242
1
Washington D.C
tobyg said:
Mods, please lock this thread so it actually becomes useful in the archive instead of having people read a fight about the proper use of the term 'google'.

Um..Google is an very important term...People need to know they can use it as a verb!:D

But Ya I use "to google" a lot