eMac won't boot OS9.2.2 disc

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nimraynn, Dec 1, 2013.

1. nimraynn macrumors newbie

Hi,

Trying to install OS 9.2 onto my eMac and it's not recognising the disc.

I know there are different versions of the eMac that can and cannot boot into OS 9 natively, but from what I can work out, this should be one that can boot from it. I may be completely wrong on that though.

The machine I have is a 1GHz G4 with 512MB RAM and ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card. It has a 133MHz bus speed, which from what I can work out is the one required. System Profiler recognises it as a PowerMac4,4.

As far as I'm aware, the 9.2.2 disc I'm running is meant to be compatible with the eMac, and I've tried two different ones. If I put the disc in, Finder recognises it and mounts it. It doesn't, however, show up in Startup Disk within System Preferences. Nor does it appear if I hold down ALT/OPT when booting up the machine.

Does this mean that my model eMac simply can't boot natively into OS9, or am I doing something wrong here?

If it matters, the machine is currently runing Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8.

Cheers,
    Mike

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That eMac can only boot into an OS 9 disc that is a restore disc for that model eMac and also if it doesn't have a SuperDrive (DVD burner) in it.

3. nimraynn, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

nimraynn thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any easy way to find out if the disc I have is for this model eMac? The machine is second hand and didn't come with any discs.

Thanks.

Edit Sorry, only just thought about the SuperDrive thing. I think it does have a SuperDrive. Is there any way around this, such as swapping it for a ComboDrive? Or is there more to it than that?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think the SuperDrive is an artificial limitation for OS 9 to differentiate the models. I've put official Apple SuperDrives in OS 9 PowerMacs and they still boot into OS 9 without a problem.

5. nimraynn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, OK. So it's not the drive itself that is limiting, just something about the models that came with it that are limiting?

Any ideas if there is a way around it? Or am I pretty much stuck with running Classic Mode in 10.4? That's assuming I can even get 10.4 on it, struggling with that at the moment! :(

6. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

there is an education only version of the emac 1ghz that can't boot os 9. I bought one once by accident.