eMac won't boot past spinning gear not even in safe mode.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ShockWaver95, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ShockWaver95 macrumors newbie

I can't boot my Mac in osx or safe mode. I tried everything. I dont have the installation disc. I am running 10.3.9. I tryed commands in the single user mode, But it says disc is ok, I tryed PRAM resets, still no glory. I tried to boot safe mode still has spinning gear on white apple logo screen.

Any other commands i could possibly try. I do not have the original disc. This started when I deleted my web browser on mistake. PLEASE Help??!!!!

2. WGoins88 macrumors regular

What model?

I can 100% guarantee you it's bad capacitors on the logic board. I just repaired a friend's 1.25 eMac with bad caps. You can actually see some of the suspected caps by pulling the memory access panel off the bottom and looking at the caps on the inside. If they are bulging at the top and/or leaking, you need to replace all of them on the board.

It just may have been a awkward coincidence that it happened when you deleted your browser.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You're going to have to find that install disk or get a replacement. Your model will run up to OS 10.5.8.

10.4.11 would probably be the optimum system for you. If you can't find one locally I've seen them on Ebay for $75.

4. ShockWaver95 thread starter macrumors newbie

PowerPc G4, 1.0ghz, 40gb 512mb, CD, it was originally 250mb, but I bought it like this, also how do I look for caps?

5. WGoins88 macrumors regular

Yeah, yours is one of the affected models. Unplug the computer, lay it on its' face on a towel, and take the single philips screw off the memory access cover.

You are looking for this -

[​IMG]

If you see that, your capacitors need replacing. With it locking up at the Apple logo screen, it's almost always a hardware problem.

6. ShockWaver95 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see those caps in mine. I see a green logic board tho where the ribbon tape is.

7. WGoins88 macrumors regular

Yours might differentiate from that picture. I'm pretty sure there are caps inside the memory access area on all eMacs.

8. ShockWaver95 thread starter macrumors newbie

From your angal mine has only one big green cap. That says made from France. It says lithium, and says hi compacitor, it looks like a battery laying horizontal on the board. The company says saft or something like that.

9. ShockWaver95 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see bulging. Everything looks clean and normal.

10. WGoins88 macrumors regular

That's your PRAM battery. If you don't see any capacitors in there, then I guess the 1.0 models don't have them in that area. But before pulling it apart to see the rest of the capacitors, I would suggest getting OS X discs and try reinstalling the OS first.

11. ShockWaver95 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on a budget and they go for $70 i can't purchase them.