eMac won't reinstall OSX,

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Pkupman57, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Pkupman57 macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    I realize this has probably been discussed before, but Im not having much luck finding info.

I just recently got a freebie eMac.

It has a 38gig maxtor drive in it (probably the OEM drive) The guy I got i from has somehow erased everything on the drive, but i DO have the original DVDs for the system for OSX Panther. (gray disks) The problem I am having however, is that the install disc will not see the hard drive. Disk utility does, but I cannot erase it, or partition it. Every time I try, I get a failure message, and it says "unknown error: -20. Im not sure what to do now. Id like to get this system up and running, but Im not sure how to get OSX installed.

Any help, I would appreciate greatly (it was supposed to be a fully functional system prior, Id like to get it working again)

Thanks

2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Sounds like the drive is flat out dead. It would probably require replacement which isn't surprising considering the machine is at least 9 years old. The fact Disk Utility sees it but won't partition or format it indicates a bad drive.

It requires a standard IDE hard drive, although they are becoming hard to find. I would recommend getting a tested one off of eBay and try to replace it. Just know that its a PITA to open these eMacs.