eMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Carye, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Carye macrumors newbie

I have an Apple eMac G4. I am running 10.5.8. The Processor is 1.42 Ghz. I have 2 GB of memory. I seem to be having a problem with the memory. Almost without exception every time I try to save a document or open a website or anything else I get the spinner, and it takes way too long for it to stop. Sometimes it starts spinning for no real reason. Otherwise my computer works fine.

I think it is happening way too often. I don't have the same problem with my other computer an iMac. It saves extremely fast. What can I do about it? Does my computer have some kind of conflict that I can resolve?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Open up Activity Monitor and look at page ins and page outs. You may have too many programs open at once which is causing your machine to page. Consider opening Disk Utility and verifying permissions.

If that first step doesn't work and you seem to be convinced it's a memory issue, check to see if your memory module is seated properly and then perform a memory test. You could use memtest or the OS X install DVD.

3. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd wonder about this too... even with Leopard (definitely with Tiger), excessive VM usage with day-to-day tasks on 2GB shouldn't be that frequent.

If all your hardware does check out, you might want to seriously re-consider your decision to upgrade to Leopard... this is pretty old hardware, and if you're really intent on squeezing more life out of it, Tiger might give you a better experience....

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

sorry i`m a bit late ,but are the 2 gb matching 1gb sticks as sometimes they dont like each other if they are from a different brand

as there are high density sticks and low density sticks out there , stay away from high density even high sounds good it isnt

in my emac had been fitted 2 512mb sticks but one was a 3200 instead of 2700 and different brand , it was running but
    and after replacing with 2 sticks from the same brand its running a lot faster then before ...
    choosing the right ram is essential