Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Lets deal with the basics first.

Do you have X11 running? The "normal" emacs GUI is X11 based.

Do you have your DISPLAY environment variable set. If not try setting it to localhost:0.0 (i.e. if you type export | grep DISPLAY do you get anything. If not try setting it).

Have you tried using xemacs rather than plain emacs?

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Originally posted by robbieduncan
Lets deal with the basics first.

Do you have X11 running? The "normal" emacs GUI is X11 based.

Do you have your DISPLAY environment variable set. If not try setting it to localhost:0.0 (i.e. if you type export | grep DISPLAY do you get anything. If not try setting it).

Have you tried using xemacs rather than plain emacs?

x11 is running..
display env was not set up, did that now

when i type xemacs , it says command not found..

what should i do next?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
xemacs is not installed by default. You would need to use fink or something similar to get it. If you have x11 running and your display variable set try normal emacs. It can be compiled to use an x11 GUI if it thinks x is running. It is probably best to do this from an x11 xterm instead of the terminal as well.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
xemacs is not installed by default. You would need to use fink or something similar to get it. If you have x11 running and your display variable set try normal emacs. It can be compiled to use an x11 GUI if it thinks x is running. It is probably best to do this from an x11 xterm instead of the terminal as well.

how do we do it?? i open xterm n write emacs...but its the same terminal window of emacs, not the gui one

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by abhishekit
how do we do it?? i open xterm n write emacs...but its the same terminal window of emacs, not the gui one

Assuming you checked the DISPLAY variable in the xterm then it seems to indicate that the version of emacs included with OSX does not have the x stuff in it.

You could try typing "man emacs" and actually reading about the x11 stuff!

Or install fink and get xemacs.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
still confused

Assuming you checked the DISPLAY variable in the xterm then it seems to indicate that the version of emacs included with OSX does not have the x stuff in it.

You could try typing "man emacs" and actually reading about the x11 stuff!

Or install fink and get xemacs.

plzz excuse me for being lame but i m still not able to work it out. i installed fink but couldnt understand how to use it properly..so threw it...
i will start from the beginnin once again..may b i m doin somethin wrong...
i installed x11 from apple site. it is workin coz i use it to run matlab on a linux machines in my school.
to check for display, on the xterm window i write export | grep DISPLAY
it says declare -x DISPLAY=":0.0"
so is display set now?
now when i write emacs... it just opens up the terminal window of emacs...
so am i doin somethin wrong or i haveto install fink again and theres no other way...
i greatly appreciate your help and again am sorry for being a dork

abhi

Chealion

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
If you don't have xemacs installed, how are you supposed to use it?

It's like asking why can't I get this screw in a piece of wood, when you don't have a screwdriver or drill.

You'll have to install fink and install xemacs if you want to use it. fink is not too hard to use, just follow the instructions to install fink, and then run sudo dselect.

From there, find xemacs, and it will install all the dependancies and such.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Originally posted by Chealion
If you don't have xemacs installed, how are you supposed to use it?

It's like asking why can't I get this screw in a piece of wood, when you don't have a screwdriver or drill.

You'll have to install fink and install xemacs if you want to use it. fink is not too hard to use, just follow the instructions to install fink, and then run sudo dselect.

From there, find xemacs, and it will install all the dependancies and such.
i installed fink..then installed xemacs(well..tried to) .these are the packages it was installing...
dlcompat dlcompat-shlibs gdbm-shlibs libjpeg-shlibs libpng3-shlibs
libtiff-shlibs xaw3d-shlibs xemacs-base-pkg xemacs-efs-pkg xfree86
xfree86-shlibs
then it gave an error msg saying"You have an existing X11 installation in /usr/X11R6/lib. (As i already have x11.)
This package refuses to overwrite these. Remove them, then tell Fink to
install xfree86-shlibs again. (The package won't be recompiled.) If you want
to keep your X11 installation, install system-xfree86 resp. system-xtools
instead to make this known to Fink's package system."
then i tried to install system-xfreee86 resp.system-xtools...but it again gave an error "Sorry, system-xfree86 is already the newest version.
E: Couldn't find package resp."

i read somewhere about this problem where it was written that x11 SDK need to be installed along with x11..where can i find x11SDK now? its not with the macosx cds..that just has x11.

abhi

evilpenguin21

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Ok, finally other people that use emacs :).

I use the version of emacs that you guys say isn't the gui (It actually is gui emacs, but that's besides the point.) Ever since i've upgraded to Panther i've been unable to use mouse editing. Since I do more copy and paste than I do writing actual code this is a huge problem. I was wondering if anyone else has been having the same problems.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
FINALLY some action...

well finally i got the xemacs up and running...thanks guys for the help..
i would just like to make a few points so that others can benefit....
1. if u already have x11 on ur machine n then install xmacs using fink, it doesnt recognise it n tries to install xfree86 , so gives an error message ...asking you to remove ur x11, to go ahead with the installation.
2. So if you do not want to do that , here is a way. install x11 sdk pkg. u can find it applications/installers. after u do that , then install xemacs. then it wont install its own xfree86 and evrything works smoothly....

well...i have one more question....how do u permanently change the path variable...? acutally i have to do that for my xterm , if i do it with export , it just does it temporarily....
any suggestions??

starsoft

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2003
GUI Emacs binary for Panther

I have compiled emacs 21.3.50 from the CVS sources (as of 2003/11/12) for Panther and it works flawlessly for me (Emacs Carbon app, hence GUI).

I did put together a package, you can download it at:

http://www.rosuda.org/emacs-panther.dmg

It also contains a sample config file, just type:

cp /usr/local/emacs21/emacs.user.config ~/.emacs

in the Terminal and you will get all the common <Cmd>+... Mac-OS-like shortcuts like copy/paste/close/undo/go-to-line ... even in Emacs. (This of course overwrites your old personal Emacs settings, so if you did setup your emacs before and don't want to lose them, either save them or edit the file manually)

Of course this is not an official package, so use at your own risk (no warranties whatsoever etc. ...)

starsoft

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2003
changing PATH permanently

@abhishekit:

You can use the usual "dot"-files for your shell, for example if you use zsh (default since Jaguar), then you can create .zshenv file in your home directory with all the necessary stuff.

For example mine looks like this:

--- cut here ---

# let's see if we have fink installed on this machine
if test -e /sw/bin/init.sh ; then
source /sw/bin/init.sh
fi

# if this machine has /usr/local then add it
if test -e /usr/local/bin ; then
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
export PATH
fi

if test -e /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current ; then
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
export PATH
fi

export DISPLAY=:0.0
export CVS_RSH="ssh"

# for bash - the prompt
export PS1='\h:\W\$ '
# for zsh - the prompt (must be set after PS1 otherwise zsh will fall back to PS1)
export prompt='%m:%3~%% '

# some handy aliases
alias l="ls -l"
alias rm="rm -f"
if test -e /Applications/Emacs.app ; then
alias e="/usr/bin/open -a /Applications/Emacs.app"
else
alias e="emacs"
fi
alias ew="emacs -nw"

echo " "
echo "Welcome to `hostname` (`uname -psr`)"
echo " "

--- cut here ---

of course you can split the stuff into .profile and .zshenv or whatever combination you want to use (depending on whether you want to set stuff for xterm or login shells etc. ...)

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
path for x11

the thing is that when i change the path in .profile, which is in my home directory, it does modify the path but for the terminal, not for the xterm ....so its no good..coz i have already set the path for terminal ...
so anyone knowz how to set up the path permanently for x11 xterm, ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.