eMacs text editor in 10.9?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by viperGTS, Oct 22, 2013.

1. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I rely on this app for my computer science at my university. It works fine in 10.8, and I really want to upgrade to 10.9 for the battery and performance improvements alone. However, I can't upgrade if this app doesnt work.

Anyone know if this app is working on 10.9? It's really a text editor so I don't think an OS update would break it, but you never know... :eek:

If someone could test it out, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

2. COMPSCIstudent macrumors newbie

Made an account to reply to you.

This is weird. Emacs initially was not loading for me in OS X Mavericks so I did a Google search and found this post. As I started replying to you to tell you that it was broken, I tried again and this time it worked when I opened from my Applications folder.

It's working for me at least now. I'll update if that for whatever reason changes.

3. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Weird :eek: but thank you for the reply! I guess i'll hold off from upgrading then. Would you say it's more an app issue or OS issue?

4. COMPSCIstudent macrumors newbie

Probably an app issue.

It's still opening and working fine for me now except for some reason the cwd switched to Macintosh HD. M-x cd /users/myname should fix it.

Emacs not opening just might have been some sort of hiccup after installation. If you want to be safe about it, I would still wait for the opinions of others. Good luck.

5. tomvos macrumors 6502

tomvos

Mac OS X comes with an antique emacs-22.1.1 bundled.

I compiled emacs-24.3.1 for my Mac when I was still running 10.8. It does still work with Mac OS X 10.9. So emacs should generally work fine under OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

6. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

I see. Thanks again! :)

Where can I find this bundled version of emacs? :eek:

7. sgjohnston macrumors newbie

8. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply. :)
    That's exactly where I got emacs from too. Will probably upgrade to Mavericks tonight. Thanks!